Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 CAM... Tool Lists???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydenn

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2005
CA
Afternoon,
I just started into NX9. I'm a long time NX6 user and it appears the workflow I've used in 6 no longer works in 9(and I can't find a way around it in 9...)
My problem is making tool lists for the shop floor. NX has always been really weak in this department. Now it's seemingly impossible!

Here's what I did in NX6.

1. I would create all my tools, accurately in manufacturing
2. I select "Machine tool view" in the navigator, and single click on any one tool
3. Once the tool is selected and a "preview" appears in the graphics window you would select "More..." in the window top menu.
4. When the "more..." dialog box opens, you could choose the desired tool, then OK, then you could save that as a model file.
5. I could do this to my whole list, creating solid models of each tool then I could easily make 2D drawings.

OK... In NX9 I can do all the same things, but the tool preview doesn't appear in the "More..." dialog box.
and even if I select the tool in the graphics window, save it as a .prt file, I cannot make a drafting view of it.

I can look at the model, I can check the density of the model, I can measure the model but when I try to create a view of it....Nothing is there.

Any suggestions? Am I missing some new, great feature in NX9 for creating (visual, dimensioned)tool lists?

Thanks,
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a way to do this but I can't remember it. When I get in the office later today, I'll look it up on my system and post it.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX9 with almost every MR (18versions) plus the NX10 Beta

J

the few times I've gone to the trouble to do this I've had problems as well.I couldn't remember the work around so I created file to try again.
First the issue of creating/extracting a solid from your tool. Here's the explanation from the Siemens forum:

"From the Tool view of the operation navigator select the tool.

On the Assembly Navigator you should see the tool you just selected as a component

Right click and select make displayed part. Save the file."

Yeah...that works, if you're persistent. More than half the time when I right click on tool in ANT, the component disappears.
Once I have a part file I get the same problem with drafting. I seems to only show the parent geometry for the revolved solid (see attached).
I tried copying to another layer to create a dumb solid. No better. I exported and brought back in as step. That did it.

Yeah, I know. Heap of trouble

We'll see what Anthony has for you.

Ray

Ray S
NX9.0.3.4 MP1

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6ef1a82d-0560-46c0-949a-40cd35bc19b1&file=12-17-2014_12-21-14_PM.png
I just tried thins in NX9.0.3.4 and as Ray noticed as soon as you attempt to select the tool from the ANT is disappears.
How I did manage to get this to work is this.

1. Select the tool from tool view on the operation navigator
2. Right click and select properties
3. Click OK ( don't change anything)
4. Select the Assembly Navigator
5. Right click on the tool and select Make Displayed Part
6. Note that the file is read-only
7. Select Save-as

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6, NX7.5,NX8.5, NX9.0
Vericut7.3

Thanks John, I tried that and it worked great. How about the drafting issue though? Have you seen this behavior yourself?

Ray S
NX9.0.3.4 MP1

I found the information and what you need to do is add a machine into the part.
Once that's done you get access to the solid. However I notice as Ray has mentioned that trying to draft from it is doing strange things.
I think it's a bug, but I'd need to test it some more to confirm.

Video attached to show how to get the solid model.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

Checked it out and the drafting issue is a known bug, PR7120692.
No resolution as yet for that bug.

Only workaround I can find is to cut a section through it and revolve the new curves.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

Thanks Everyone,

Although unfortunate, I'm glad to hear that it's a drafting bug and not me missing something terribly obvious.

Looks like I'll be revolving section curves!

Thank you all.

Jay

NX 6.0.5.3

*Update*

So, I made my tool list today. It's not too bad. Here's what I learned.

-If you use the "Window > More..." method described in the OP, you can get the solid every time. (see attached photo)

-After you "Save as", all you have to do is delete all the revolves, show layer 90, revolve the curves.

Works great.

J

NX 6.0.5.3

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=714c3cc3-462f-4bd5-b496-93fe5c9b1679&file=more.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back