Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 Dimensions 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillpd

Mechanical
Oct 19, 2006
GB
When placing a dimension, how do I set the number of decimal places ? In NX6, I can press the 0 thru 6 keys to make the change.

I'm also looking at switching to (maybe) Arial font. I can change the font of an NX6 created dimension, but it doesn't appear to change the font of the diameter symbol of a cylindrical dimension ?

NX 6.0.5.3
NX 9.0.1.3
Windows 7 64 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was a Siemens held interactive Webinar last year in December I think There was some feedback from the users to Siemens and Siemens is looking into these said inputs.
For your 1-6 it may be hotkeys to say alt+1 or something like this. This is the type of issues Siemens is reviewing.
There is seven pages of information in the link above. Also, I think they will be holding another webinar on this issue with follow from the first webinar. ( I am not 100% for sure but that is how the webinar left off.)

Let me start by saying that new enhancements are great but they do not outweigh the “enhancements” that slow me down. There should never be “enhancements” that slow down a user and button pushes are much quicker than mouse clicks. All of the users in my department are also complaining about the loss of the 1-6 decimal place change. I’ve been using UG since version 4 or 6 so I guess you can say that I’m one of those “legacy users” and I find the statement “legacy user issue” made by John as offensive.

If you go back and look at the CONTEXT in which I made that comment, you'll see that it was NOT directed at those of US (and that includes me as I've been using UG/NX since before there even were versions numbers, in my case, for over 37 years) who are actual 'legacy users'. I used that term as part of a response to a comment made about how NEW USERS, just learning NX, somehow "would love to have that old functionality". The point I was making was as to why were these students even shown the old way that NX worked if they were only now learning to use NX for the first time. For these new students, there was NO way that they could "love" something that they had never actually used before. I was using a bit of 'sarcasm' to make a point, nothing else. If that offend you, or anyone else, I'm truly sorry. That was NOT my intension.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Was it that the new users were shown the old way NX worked, so they could truly appreciate all the extra mouse clicks now? [banghead]

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

If that's how you want to waste your time, there's nothing that I can do to help you.

BTW, did you take advantage of the invitation to participate in the webinars that were sponsored by the Drafting Product Management team? They provided TWO forums where these and other Dimensioning issues were discussed and proposals for addressing them were offered. And these proposals are currently in the process of being implemented in the next version of NX. If you were offered the opportunity to participate and you chose not to, well I guess that does say something about how much you really want to see NX improved, now doesn't it?

As for Trent's question, of my 37 years (soon to be 38) of UG/NX experience, granted, only three of those were while working as a Machine Designer and Project Engineer (after 11 years on the board) for a large multinational corporation that manufactured commercial chemical and food processing machinery. The remainder has been as part of the organization that developed and supported UG/NX, first as a pre-sales consultant (AKA Demo Jock), then as a regional manager for the pre-sales organization and as the technical lead for the 1986/87 GM/EDS benchmark. After that I joined R&D working in various Product Management and Product Marketing roles until my current assignment. During that time, I've probably logged as many UG/NX hours as anyone else in the company. Granted, most of that time has been spent working with beta and early production versions of the software, concentrating on the modeling aspects of NX as that's the core technology, but I follow Drafting issues as well, just not as if I were actually working in a Drafting office full time.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I have a bit of an update.

I've started testing NX 10.0.2.x, which is the first release which will include any of the changes proposed as a result of the Drafting Webinars that the Drafting Product Management team held late last year and earlier this year. Several improvements were made making it easier to enter and leave the editing mode and being assured the the edits will be performed.

But the biggest enhancement, at least based on reading this thread, is that now, when in the Dimension editing mode, if you wish to change the number of decimal places, all that you will need to do is hold down the 'alt' key and then select the 0-6 keys on the numeric keypad. Also, again while holding down on the 'alt' key, you can use the four 'arrow' keys to move the cursor focus 'around' the Edit Dimension dialog to where you can enter appended text.

These are some of the things which we will be covering at the upcoming PLM Connections Conference in Dallas.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Great Information John. I am very happy to see Siemens is listening to all of these issues, and responding and improving this new dimension scheme. These webinars you talked about were very good and productive.

I suspect that it will NOT be back-ported to NX 9.0 as NX 9.0 is already rapidly moving toward a maintenance only status.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I guess I'll wait till NX12 then, we can only upgrade every two to three years

NX 9.0.3.4
NX 10 (Testing)
Windows 7 64 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back