Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 how do I "simplify" a sheet body

Status
Not open for further replies.

CERG

Automotive
Jul 22, 2015
US
I need help. I am trying to utilize the Global Shaping > By Surface type command. The attached data shows a simple single element sheet body in blue. The green sheet body contains tangent lines and facets. NX doesn't allow me to select a sheet that isn't a single element sheet as my Control Surface. The green sheet is just a small piece of the total part that I wish to deform my geometry on to. How can I revise or transform the green sheet into a usable/selectable sheet body for my Control Surface?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d6c19f4e-c0fa-4777-a715-394529324c26&file=NX9_surfaces_to_revise.prt
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your understanding of this function appears to be backwards. In a situation like this, one would use this function to change the shape of the GREEN surface to match that of the BLUE surface, not the other way around. Look at the attached model, where the GREEN surface is the 'Geometry to Deform', the ORANGE surface is the 'Base Surface' and the BLUE surface is the 'Control Surface', to see what I mean (suppress and unsuppress the 'Global Shaping' feature to see what's happening).

The idea is NOT to change a simple surface to look like a complex one, but rather to modify a complex surface to match the shape of a more simple template type surface.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f2d46df3-a752-47ef-8de9-dd3aa24b4823&file=NX9_surfaces_to_revise-JRB-1.prt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back