Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX9 - How to change default units for import operations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcass

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2004
US
Since we've had NX, about 3 years now, default units for importing files/parts/geometry have been in mm. We've been dealing with it but its just a big annoyance. New file templates are set to inches. How can the units be changed to inches for importing? What all is involved? The guy that was CAD Manager left 6 months ago and there hasn't been much activity in that area. No programming experience here so hoping at worst I need to edit a text file. Otherwise I'll have local tech support take care of it as I don't really have the time right now to learn programming. Read a couple of threads on here about beginning programming and looks like something I'd like to check into at a later date. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What file type(s) are you importing? Native (.prt), parasolid (.x_t), STEP (.stp|.step), IGES (.igs|.iges), other?

If you have a native .prt file, you can change part units with the utility ug_convert_part.exe. All parasolid files are metric; to import a parasolid file to inch units, create a new inch file, then use File -> import -> parasolid. The file will be converted during the import. STEP and IGES are similar, start a new inch part then use the import option: import to: work part.

www.nxjournaling.com

All but native .prt in inches.

I need to correct my explanation. While I said importing, most of the time I "open" parasolid (.x_t), STEP (.stp|.step), IGES (.igs|.iges) files and they open in metric. I was not aware all parasolids are metric, that explains some. I hadn't thought to start a new part first and import to the inch part. Sounds like adding that extra step might workout for us. If there's another "setting" solution, great, otherwise this will do fine. Thanks, glad it was simple, simple is good. [smile] Where's them trees?

By design, ALL Parasolid objects, which includes all surface and solid objects, are created and stored in Metric units (the meter to be exact). Even when creating an Imperial unit part file (inches) from scratch, any and all Solid and Surface bodies are being saved in the data structure using the meter as the unit of measure. Granted, the parameters (expressions) stored and when measurements are made, the results are in inches, but even that can be tetemporarily (during that session for that part only) overridden by changing...

Menu -> Anaylsis -> Units

And of course you can also explicitly enter any sort of units in the expression dialog and the system will take care of the 'conversion' behind the scenes.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

JohnRBaker said:
And of course you can also explicitly enter any sort of units in the expression dialog and the system will take care of the 'conversion' behind the scenes.

Well... Be careful with the expressions conversions if you are calculating a linear velocity given an angular velocity and radius. There's an open PR concerning that particular conversion.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back