Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 - Replacing existing patterns with new Title Blocks = ouch! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonJackson

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2014
US
We are currently upgrading to NX9 and are recreating our Title Blocks with the new functionality (vs the old pattern style). During this process we also wanted to link model defined attributes with the data in the title block. So, for instance, we would have a 'description' field in our model which would auto fill the 'description' field in the title block.

Everything seems to work out fine when creating a NEW drawing with this Template, however the problems begin when trying to change the title block on an existing drawing. The biggest issue is with how the new title block functionality handles attributes. If you insert this new title block template as a part into a new sheet/page, it seems to work ok. However, if you try to apply it to an existing sheet the attributes loose proper connectivity to the model, they become redefined with values that no longer work.

Now, I am unaware of the intricacies as to why this is happening...however we have tried a number of workarounds to no avail. We have tried creating macros and journals to redefine aspects of the title block however this leads to quirky error prone behavior amongst users (especially when dealing with Title block editing dialogs, some of which do not seem to be able to be macro’d/journal'd at all).

Bottom line: We need a way to replace existing title blocks with the newer Title Block, and have model defined attributes auto-populate, as reuse/redesign of parts is roughly 90% of our workload. Any help regarding this is much appreciated as it has become a huge hindrance at the moment. I can also provide attachments for our new title block and macros/journals we have tried to work around this issue if that helps anyone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use a journal.
If you want, I can send you.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Sure, that would be great. I would love to see how you handle this process in your journal. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back