Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nyone have any tips for starting a SW User Group at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWUSER71

Marine/Ocean
Aug 10, 2010
US
I want to start a SolidWorks User Group at work. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to organize such a thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did one at another company.
Normally engineers don't like to be told how to use CAD. I went to management and showed them drawings and design data that varied, causing more work for everyone because of the differences.
The SWUG became mandatory for a while. The meetings were once a week.
After a few weeks, they enjoyed it because they were learning new ways to use SW from each other.
What we learned became a company standard.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

That's what I'm hoping for. We have the same issues, everyone does things differently.
I have already gotten approval for it. Do you have any tips for how to get started, how to keep it organized?

Make a list of important subjects that pertain to your product; surfacing, parts, templates, sheetmetal, etc.
Make some screen-grabs of them and create text in a Word or PowerPoint doc for each to write on.
You may show how you work with SW first, it will domino from there.
Some users will drift from the subject, some will say their way is 'the' way. Keep them on track, make it important it is for the company and for them. If they understand there is more than one way for each command, they will come around and 'hopefully' work closer together.
I only had one engineer walk out and never come back. It was his way only. He was laid off.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

I suspect you can get some help from the SolidWorks User Group website, too.
You may want to get in touch with your local group as well for more help. If you're unsure of a local group, the above link can help you find out if there is one.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back