O-ring as an extension spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Gordon

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2018
US
Hello,

I have an application where I would like to use an o-ring as an extension spring.

It is not a heavy duty application and it is not subject to any cyclical loading.

This o-ring in this mechanism is to hold tension between two pins whose center to center distance are infrequently adjusted.

Can you recommend what o-ring material would offer the best longevity in this application?

Thanks,
Glenn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you look at the ASTM D 2000 and/or SAE J200 spec for rubber there are a few materials that have ultimate elongation as high as 600%. Given the minimal stated requirements, one of these would be "best". However, I suspect in this case the "best" would be whatever the local building supply has on hand.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Nitrile would probably work fine too, and be a bit cheaper than epdm. It would also relax less (maintain a more constant tension over time). But, epdm will stand up to a lot more stuff (ozone, uv) that might be coming through your "ambient air". We use a "bungee cord" to hold a lid on a product that sits in a potentially ozone filled, potentially moist environment, we fabricate the cord from some 1/8" epdm cord stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back