Status
Not open for further replies.

RayJohnson2

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2015
BE
Hi all,

I have an annoying sealing problem.
I have a test setup where a robot takes a series of plastic DUT's (Devices Under Test) one by one, and presses them against an air nozzle.
The DUT's are then subjected to an air pressure and a temperature range. The seal between the DUT and the nozzle is made by a small o-ring.
The problem is that, when the test is done and the robot removes the DUT from the air nozzle, often the o-ring sticks to the plastic DUT.
So, when the next DUT is pressed against the air nozzle, there is leakage because the o-ring is missing ...
So I should come up with a solution to keep the o-ring in its groove in the air nozzle.
Oh, and the DUT, while being pressed against the nozzle, is subjected to a temperature range of -50°C to +150°C (-58°F to +302°F).

The o-ring is quite small: inner diameter: 1.78 mm (0.07 inch), cord diameter: 1.02 mm (0.04 inch).
So a dovetail groove cross-section is pretty much impossible to tool.

I could try to glue the o-ring in the groove using silicon rubber glue (the o-ring is silicon rubber). That might work, but it will be a nuisance when the o-ring needs replacing. The remaining glue will be a mess in the groove...

For now, as a workaround, I am using a bigger o-ring, but it is actually too big for the groove so it gets damaged easily by the groove edges.

Any suggestions anyone?

seal1_boiary.png

seal2_uvec9c.png

seal3_ub9ngt.png

seal5_qbyivd.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is small enough one could make it an insert and turn it on a lathe with a belled out end and then rotary burnish it to close the straight groove into a half-tapered groove. If the end is upset too much a cleanup pass could flatten it as required. It would not take much deformation and the insert part can be installed with shaft-locking compound into a hole in the remainder of the test fixture.

Like 3DDave's idea create a half dovetail with a sepatate piece.
Let some air flow to separate the oring from the test piece as the test piece is removed.

Ted

@3DDave.
Good idea. Do you mean something like this?
seal6_mo6gyg.png

Making the chamfer on the inside would be best because it does not introduce possible leakage.
Problem is, that it is so tiny. The central hole diameter is only 1 mm (0.039").
Making the chamfer on the outside could be a cause of leakage, though.

Maybe if I would use a conical tool to deform the inner thin-walled edge like this, to create a dovetail on the inner side.
seal7_gkmjuy.png

hydtools said:
Let some air flow to separate the oring from the test piece as the test piece is removed.
Good idea, Ted.
In fact, I suggested this idea some time ago, but I forgot to follow up on this.
I will introduce the idea again.
It certainly would be the simplest solution.

I really meant on the the OD, hence burnishing rather than jamming a cone into it - the entire cylinder with the groove as one piece rather than adding a tiny part.

O-rings in this instance are sealing on the flat faces, not the outer boundary. The outer part keeps the pressure from causing the o-ring to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back