Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

O-ring squeeze verses pressure data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinMechEng

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2007
US
I am looking for data regarding maximum fluid pressure verses o-ring squeeze. I am designing an o-ring face seal and would like to know what maximum pressures the seal could hold at different amounts of squeeze. Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the groove dimensions, finishes, and tolerances in the Parker catalog. Do not waste your money trying to do better; you can't.

Pressure capability doesn't come from squeeze, it comes from lack of gaps/ clearances, which are determined by tolerances, or occluded by back-up rings. Read up on those.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Actually the Parker groove data is not good for cyclic high pressure applications. The wide groove allows too much movement of the ring. In cyclic pressures over a few thousand psi it is better to use a square or quad ring and only use enough squeeze to hold low pressure sealing. Limit the groove width to as narrow as possible to allow installation and removal. In our Hydraulic cylinders that see 15,000 psi pressure spikes I use a 90%+ groove fill to limit explosive decompression.

Ed Danzer

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, due to friction constraints, I can't design the gland at the parker recommended squeeze. We have to use considerably less squeeze. So far, we have used an experimental approach of finding the least amount of squeeze that holds the system pressure (fairly low ~ 20psi). I was just hoping that maybe someone had published some research or analytical results on squeeze verses pressure for a face seal.

It is a face seal that gets slowly rotated. Imagine a cylinder with a hole through its center. Now the end of the cylinder is pushed up against a flat plate with a hole through its center. Fluid (water) must pass through both the cylinder and plate, so a face seal on the end of the cylinder is created with an o-ring. The cylinder slowly rotates.

The initial compression of the sealing material just needs to exceed the fluid pressure. This means that when the seal is deformed from pressure that the contact area has a pressure greater than the fluid pressure. Variations in seal hardness can affect the compression pressure which will change the friction.

Ed Danzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back