Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object count in Layers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo12

Mechanical
May 27, 2003
CA
Hi,
I am using NX2 and I found the object count in different layers are more in numbers than the actual count.

For example, in one layers there is only one solid body part and if I check count in that layer, it shows 5.I tried part clean-up, but still it shows in layer.Any suggestions to clean-up these.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you created your solid from a sketch, there are hidden datum planes on your skecth layer.

Threads also produce additional entity counts.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

...And faceted bodies if you have that option turned on. A great way to check what is what on each layer, is to use SolidNX's Layer Tool. You can get it from SolidNX.com for free.

-Derek
DL Engineering Services

specializing in CAD Design Consultation Services

Also there are non-graphical entities such as groups. The objects in the group may be on one layer but the group itself can be on another.

And corrupt views will appear as counts in the layer setting. The only way I know how to find out what actually is on the layer is to use inquire from GM toolkit.

Is somebody know an other way to find out what is on the layers without using GM toolkit please chip in.

I remember when I was running the GM toolkit, when making a view I would have to temporarily move the solids to layer 253, make the views, then move the solids back to layer 1, make sure to hit the cat and folder icons (I forget what they were for, its been a year). If I didnt move the solids to 253, id get a ton of objects (drafting) on layer 1, then the file would not check and save. I sure dont miss having to make files GM compliant.

Keith Young
keith.a.young@comcast.net
Walway Enterprises
UG Tool Design

Make sure you have all objects unblanked & that some of the objects aren't view dependent in model space (only visible in specific views). Saved coordinate systems will also count as objects as well.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Did you try a Part Cleanup? (File>Utilities>Part Cleanup) Sometimes deleted features / entities are retained on layers in object count. If the other suggestions did not fix the problem, this usually will. SAVE THE PART FIRST.

If you go to Tools... Part Navigator and uncheck Timestamp order UG will list user expressions, unused items, and reference sets (and possibly a few more things I have not run across). Set up your columns to show the layer the objects are on and you can delete unneeded objects or move them to the proper layer.

Glad you found it useful, just be careful because it will occasionally report something as unused when it actually is used. Usually when I see this it is associated with a mirror body or mirror set (a solid body that is mirrored then united will sometimes report as unused). But, it will warn you if you try to delete it and if you ignore that there is always the undo command.

Another star for you cowski! That's an example of another handy tool which isn't covered well in the documentation. These are the kind of tips that make this a very worthwhile site.
[thumbsup2]

suppose you create a solid in lay-1 and unite this with another solid in lay-2, the resultant solid will be in layer-2, but Ug still shows an object count in lay-1 because the solid still resides in lay-1. If you delete the unite operation the solid goes to lay-1.

This is the reason why you are seeing an object count even though the layer has no entities.

san-j

Yajnas,

That is completely inaccurate in NX2 unless you are retaining the tool body. When you Unite without retaining bodies, the tool body goes to the layer of the target body ALWAYS.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Not true, solid on layer1 and solid and solid on layer2, then unite them, you end up with 1 entity on the layer of the original solid that was selected first in the unite operation.

At least in V18 it works that way. If UGS has changed it in NX, then that would be a regression.

Now, if your solid is made from a sketch, that is another story, as the sketch entitries will remain on the original layer and the solids will be combined into a single entity.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back