Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obtain the opening of the cracks in a NL analysis with Ansys SOLID65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canicott

Structural
Apr 12, 2012
FR
Hi all,

I am modeling a concrete slab (6.5m x 2.5m x 0.2m) resting on elastic support and with displacements constrained on 60cm longitudinally and transversally at each end.
I apply a negative uniform temperature (-35°C), and obviously the concrete shrinks and cracks.

I used SOLID65 with rebars in 2 directions. The calculation converges fine, but I have some troubles to interpret the results in post-processing.

I can get the stress in the different rebars:
ETABLE,S_R1,SMISC, 2 ! Stress in rebar 1
ETABLE,S_R1,SMISC, 4 ! Stress in rebar 2
Where I get coherent results.

Plot the cracks:
/POST1
PLCRACK,1
/DEVICE,VECTOR,1
I can see that all of the elements are cracked in the middle of the slab, and I can get the strain in the rebar (SMISC,1 and 3)...
But I cannot see how to get the crack spacing and the opening of the crack.

I hope I have been clear enough.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Céline

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Not sure I understood it correct, but if you're interested in the displacement use
Plnsol, u, sum
For displacement vector sum, or
Plnsol, u, x
For displacement in x direction only. You can also "prnsol, u, sum" to get displacements printed to a text file. But maybe this is not what you're looking for.

Pick a node on either side of the crack, get the displacement for each node from the printed nodal displacements and subtract the values (pay attention to direction of displacement and so not to, say, count displacement double.

Christian Hansen
Twitter: @ChrHansen

FEA consulting made easy -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back