Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Obtaining a GC license? Anyone here done that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradley5

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2024
US
Honestly, I could not find any place to discuss this so figured I would run with my love language. I am looking to obtain my GC license, purely to satisfy some red tape locally. However, if I am going to go take a test, I'd really like to know more about all of this and how it carries between states, etc. I am currently looking at a "class A GC", which I understand to test primarily commercial code and competence. After taking some practice exams, I have realized this is nothing like a PE test, and really only testing the very basics of "can you look it up in the code book?".

I don't currently expect to need to expand beyond my state right now, but I'd like to learn more so I can obtain the highest license possible. I am not concerned with the competence side. I took an 80 question practice test and scored an 82%, but no where on it did it explain what level of test I was taking, but it testing legal/law, and trades.

I guess I can reach out to my state but figured there may be a more international standard that overrides.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think requirements are basically all over.
I'm not sure, but I think I've taken one or more of these at different times in the past, it's just a matter of seeing what that particular entity tests over. Usually, it's more business-related rather than construction-related.
There may also be local licenses, which are more likely to be of the "pay us the money" type.

Oh yes, it would seem I need to test with my state, then pay my COUNTY an entire grand and that lasts for 2yrs! Scam? lol What I want to know is if the test a reciprocal with other states and such.

I think my county wants to be like CA the FL. Paper and fees to mow your own lawn. I am trying to understand what permits I can get pulled with it, etc.

It all started when we are told as P.E., we can design and approve work, but need a "GC" to do the work. Competent enough to design it, not smart enough to build it....lol We just want the paper to reduce hassles. I want to make sure we take the highest level test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back