Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

obtaining a PE license while working for a contractor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rileyblack

Civil/Environmental
Nov 30, 2008
US
I graduated college about a year ago and I have found that sitting behind a desk most of the time is not for me. I worked for contractors as a laborer and really enjoyed being outside all day until I graduated college. So my question is: what is the likelihood of obtaining a PE license when working for a contractor rather than a full-time design engineer? I understand that I will still have to do a lot of design work to show experience, but I also want to get outside more and be something like a superintendent or project manager. The reason I ask is that some of my professors in college had said that it was possible, although it may be difficult to show adequate experience to licensing boards.

Also, I really want to obtain a PE license because I believe that it will make me better and more valuable as a superintendent or project manager. I have spoken with a few superintendents who seem to believe this.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

True,
No, I am not self-righteous as you say. Very far from the truth. My experience in breaking my foot and being able to make a living has proven what I am saying. Things you are saying are equally important but one has to value education to survive.

In btw, my dream job is "wine taster", too bad I don't have the nose for it, the college degree not being good enough.

DRC, that's rethoric for the kids, I certainly did not want to tell them that the guy fixing my gas furnace gets more money than I do, that would discourage them from going to school altogether. I never meant that those guys working outside are idiots. I only meant that they have a tough life, and yes for the most part, they ended up there because of bad grades, (aside from the exceptions you mention).

Look at Steven Hawkins, see what he can do from his chair?

cry22, I think that you are making the assumption that bad grades came before the construction work.

In many people, construction/physically intensive work comes as a calling before they don't get the same grades as you or I. I grew up in a family absolutely dominated on both sides of my parents by tradesmen/artisians. I'm the first science-related student, let alone engineer. For many kids, university has nothing to do with their intelligence or work ethic. It's just that they'd rather not sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back