Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Obtaining licenses from another company

Status
Not open for further replies.

james78

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2004
GB
A local company to mine has gone into administration our current CEO is a board member and has asked me if there is a possibility to transferring a license, has anyone had any experience in doing this?
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I sold my license to my employer years ago. Luckily, I had a good VAR and they were a lot of help. Anything I would say about your situation would only be speculation. Call your VAR and talk to the highest level person you can get to. They will know the drill.

From what I recall licenses can not be transferred or sold between companies. The only way is if one company is bought by another company.

You do not need to transfer ownership of the licenses if you have Standalone licenses. You need only transfer the use of the license with the Transfer License function that comes with every install of SolidWorks.

Just Transfer the licenses (I think its under the Help pulldown menu) from some of your workstations and uninstall SolidWorks from those stations. Your vendor can then use your serial number to install the same number of licenses onto their computers. If you ever need to retreive your licenses from your vendor, you can ask them to use the same function to deactivate the licenses on their systems. If they do not comply, you can ask your VAR to do it.

This way, you retain control over your copies of SolidWorks.

Matt Lorono
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources & SolidWorks Legion

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solidworks & http://twitter.com/fcsuper

But that isn't the case for the OP.

The original 'owner' is a company under administration (i.e going belly-up). So the OPs company is wanting to transfer permanent ownership to themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back