Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

obtaining U stamp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyecho

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2002
GB
I work for uk vessel fabricator - ISO 9001 and PED certified.
We are looking at obtaining U stamp and would appreciate comments on the difficulty of this and how long such certification takes. We generally sub contract design, NDE (though I am qualified mech eng and have done many vessel designs) does this affect difficulty in certification?
Does any one have experience of how PED 97/23/EC can be related to U stamp. Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

andy,
The U stamp is related to ASME VIII, the American Code and is not related directly to the PD5500. The current ASME VIII require you to obtain U stamp certification from the ASME Board. They will issue to you, based on extensive testing of your design and fabrication capability, experience and understanding of the current ASME code requirements. No specific PD 5500 requirements.
Please note that this month is due out the new ASME VIII re-write, which seems to bring major changes in the area of certification and perhaps in the area of U stamping also. Please be patient for a little longer and hopefully, the new Code will clarify for you the marking requirements.
gr2vessels

Thanks for reply - I realized U stamp for ASME vessels but did not know requirements may change in 2007 issue. This is released this month isnt it.
I'm trying to get a feel for how difficult U stamp is to obtain, knowing the experience that we have in uk fabrication (we have made non-stamped ASME vessels as well). Testing understanding of ASME code sounds daunting I assume this includes IX. Can parts of code for which we have little experience be specified as undertaken by 3rd party?

ASME Section VIII requires materials that meet Section II, Welding and qualifications per per Section IX, and NDE and qualifications per Section V. The National Board along with the ASME will audit your written/documented quality Program and verify the implementation of that Program at your facility. I've helped a number of companies with this endeavor.

Many thanks for your answers I think Fawkes has hit nail on head as far as I thought. Our 97/23/EC qualification (Module H) requires us to show a quality control method as applied to pressure vessel design and fabrication and show sufficient knowledge to enable us to self certify vessels. I thought the U stamp was a similar system (but not self certified) hence we could modify our existing quality control methods to account for ASME requirements. As far as AI s are concerned is this chosen by client for each vessel or our decision?

AI's are your decision: which Authorized Inspection Agency will you have monitor your activities. If you share the same AI as your customer then there is a 'perception' of commonality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back