Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ocado automated/robotic warehouse fire (UK) 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygerdawg

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2004
US
I caught the slightest whiff of information about this on another discussion forum.

The comments from the other forum indicated this facility is a highly automated warehouse distribution center with autonomous robots. A fire started, spread quickly with robots moving at rapid speed, and the facility made for robots and not necessarily humans. Apparently despite being heavily sprinklered, the place burned to the ground.

Details I have found are sketchy:

Would any of our colleagues from Across The Pond care to provide enlightenment?

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope there are some security videos yet to be released, showing robots delivering stuff on fire all over the place.

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

I wouldn't be surprised if this incident drives a new standard or series of standards from NFPA regarding facilities or occupancies designed exclusively for robots. Living in the future is fascinating.

That's an interesting problem. Assuming the sprinkler system worked as intended (as indicated in the articles), I'll be curious to see what the cause of fire was and why it spread so quickly/wasn't suppressed. I wonder if the individual robots have a smoke sensor to detect fire and shutdown to avoid rapidly spreading the fire.

Names of deceased robots are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

All gave some, some gave all. RIP robots.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Since there was obviously a fire detection system, it would seem prudent that all robots in a fire zone would stop motion. I believe that should have been obvious to the designers.

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

Dilbert_1_we3psb.jpg

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Too many eggs in one basket?

Think about all those polyethylene bins melting and burning like diesel fuel and the batteries for the robots. Unless the sprinkler system is using a special extinguishing agent, it isn't likely to do much. The high stack nature of the combustibles would make it difficult to get extinguishing media where it is needed.

700 people lost their jobs & cars aparently. Luckily for Ocado, they opened an even larger 200,000 order facility in the 3rd quarter of last year.

I worked in a large warehouse once, and the stock and retrieve were all automated.
We built fire resistant partitions in the building so that any incident could be contained.
And our fire suppression was closer to deluge than sprinkler, we handled a lot of flammable stuff.
And our system was tied into the fire detection/suppression system.
If the heat or smoke sensors tripped the machines in that zone simply stopped where they were, and machines in other zones all went 'home'.
This was 40 years ago .....

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Well as someone told me a good few years ago, there hasnt been a system yet , built by man , that hasn't or couldn't fail. Chernoble, Fukishima ,
the Space shuttle should be enough to convince anyone of that idea.

I suspect that with todays technology there probably exists an attitude of " that was then , today we know so much more and our computers say.....",

I suspect there was a complete absence of risk analysis in the design of this plant. and I suspect there wasnt anybody old enough to even ask " What if such and such event occurred?

Old lessons have to be relearned by every generation

As someone who has experienced first hand what it's like to be standing in a warehouse, under a sprinkler head when it goes off, and this was in Connecticut in the Winter so the water was ice cold, I can feel for what it must have been like for the robots ;-)

For details as to the circumstances of this event, go to:
John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back