Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ocean Engineering Studies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpdualie

Marine/Ocean
Feb 1, 2008
US
I am applying to colleges that offer a degree in ocean engineering and I'm trying to get a sense for the programs at Florida Institute of Tecnology, University of Hawaii, Florida Atlantic University, UC San Diego and University of Rhode island. or should I look elsewhere? Do graduates from these schools have wide appeal in the job market?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have any idea of what you would like to do after you graduate. Are you looking at coastal structures (break waters, jetties piers), underwater vechicles (AUV, ...), offshore structures (Oil rigs), corrosion or naval engineering. I know that Florida Tech had a very strong costal and offshore program, while FAU had a very strong underwater vechical program. I don't know too much about Hawaii, but I believe that they had a strong program in offshore structures. All three are fine schools. I suggest that you look at the courses that they offer, and the area of research that the professors are into. Then base you decision on where your intrests lie. And don't forget that Texas A&M has a very strong prtogram in offshore structures. Hope this helps.

Florida Tech (Grad OE 1999)

Thank you for the reply. I have already been accepted into the FIT ocean engineering program and it sounds as if they have a very good rep. Texas A&M and FAU also keep coming up. Not sure at this early stage as to what my focus will be but your insight is just what I was looking for.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back