Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ocean Engineering universities 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpdualie

Marine/Ocean
Feb 1, 2008
US
I am applying to colleges that offer a degree in ocean engineering and I'm trying to get a sense for the programs at Florida Institute of Tecnology, University of Hawaii, Florida Atlantic University, UC San Diego and University of Rhode island. or should I look elsewhere? Do graduates from these schools have wide appeal in the job market?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There isn't going to be wide appeal of such a degree but there can possibly be a narrow appeal which could be very good for one's wallet.

You should be able to check the school's graduate successes. They often want to tout it to potential students. You could get the name of a working student and ask that person about opportunities. Personally I think it would be a great degree!

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

thanks for the reply; I had not considered VA-tech but I have been excepted into the Florida Tech Ocean Engineering program but wanted to check the credentials of the program before accepting.

Does the University of Texas have an Ocean Engineering program? I looked into them when I was researching universities and don't remember finding an Ocean program.

Also, Texas A&M has an Ocean program and another program focused more on offshore and near coastal structures at their Galveston campus.

Cheers,
Kat

I see you've listed FAU. Until I went to work as a naval defense contractor, I hadn't had any contact with graduates from that school. In the course of my work, I interacted with probably a half dozen Ocean Engineers from FAU - they were all top notch. I realize the sample size was small, but I'd still recommend their program if that's what you are set on doing.

Let me go ahead and put in a plug for a Mechanical Engineering degree. A BSME would give you alot more flexibility. I've seen plenty of job postings for an ocean/marine engineer OR a ME and I've seen lots more that specified JUST ME. But I've never seen (though they may be out there) a job listing for JUST an Ocean Engineering graduate.

I got my degree in OE from FIT back in 1977. Out of school I landed a job with a large Contractor expanding a port in South America. I've always described OE as "wet Civil Engineering" - everyone then says "yeah, ok".

Later while working for an Offshore Consulting firm I got an MS in Civil Engineering. I sort of wish I had done things the other way around, CE first, then OE. But none the less my OE degree was sufficient to land two jobs.

However, an ME degree is always a good choice too.

Richard Ay
COADE, Inc.

Thanks for all the feedback. I also reached out to a few employers via Coastal-Engineering Jobs Database and received several replies. Evidently Texas A&M has a well regarded program too.

Granted it has been 11 years since I graduated from Texas A&M - College Station with a BS-OE, but when I was looking at schools I found that even though many schools have an OE program, they often concentrate on different areas. Besides researching the quality of the degree program, try to find out what type of OE program they lean towards. I have seen OE's working on everything from subsea equipment, offshore structures, ROV/AUV, diving, coastal, dredging, etc. It sounds like you have a general idea of what you want to do if you are already looking into and OE degree, so make sure the school you pick is heavy on teaching what you want to do when you graduate.

Texas A&M does have a great OE program. If you are looking more for vessel systems design, then look at the Marine Engineering degree at Texas A&M-Galveston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back