Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

odd behaviour with Area Hatch/Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirDeveloper

Structural
Feb 17, 2011
Hi,

I'm new to SW - using SW 2011.

I've filled a few small area of a drawing, and that worked fine.

Some larger areas are showing odd behaviour. While I am editing a sketch, the colours of the fills look correct, but when I Exit Sketch, all my fills turn to grey. Moving my mouse across the filled areas, some flash to orange, then back to gray (orange wasn't my chosen colour).

It seems like buggy behaviour to me, but then being new to SW, I might be missing something simple.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ooooh boy! Just spent £150 on a quadro fx580.

The graphics are nicer and quicker, but I still get the same effect on my hatched areas!

I'm attaching my drawing so someone else might take a look at it.

Hopefully, the next suggestion won't be so expensive!

(Kidding - I was thinking of getting a graphics card anyway...)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e1b2d848-74b1-49b4-8659-d96ceb15bdd8&file=imageTraceTotal.SLDPRT
Hi All, New to this forum.

weirDeveloper good job that you needed a new graphics card. Because there was no problem with it. Orange is the default Dynamic Highlight for Solidworks.

Tools-Options-colors

Sorry - maybe I'm being a bit thick here! I see your drawing in colour, and I've seen other SW drawings with colour, so what's up with my drawing?

I've filled a couple of areas in green, and they display as green while I have edit sketch enabled, but it shows as grey when I click out of edit sketch, grey in print preview, grey when exported to pdf.

Selecting a line, and using the line colour menu to change the colour, everything in my drawing changes to that colour.

Confused! (and yes, I've googled, and looked through the help sections. I haven't found anything that explains what I'm seeing).

Firstly, I'm sorry the graphics card didn't solve the 'problem'.

However, in your posts you mentioned the problem was with a drawing, yet the part you posted is a sketch within a part. The two are totally different. Quagga is correct, the orange colour is the default for dynamic hightlighting in a part ... but not for hatches in a drawing.

The hatch (and sketch line) colour can be changed at Tools > Options > System Options > Color --- Color Scheme Settings --- Sketch, Inactive.

'in your posts you mentioned the problem was with a drawing, yet the part you posted is a sketch within a part.'

Now you mention it, I appreciate the difference.

I've created a 3D model of a new fish pass that will be built into this weir (at least that part went well!). The sketch I posted is just a topographic view of the site, something I need to include with the final drawing. It isn't intended to be anything other than a 2D sketch.

I should have done that as a drawing shouldn't I, rather than as a part!

I should have done that as a drawing shouldn't I, rather than as a part!

The same tools are available in a sketch or drawing. Use whichever you are more comfortable with.

Personally, I would have used a sketch within a part, but created surfaces for the individual areas. Colours and appearances (water, grass, concrete, etc) could then have been applied to those surfaces. Also, the surfaces could later be thickened into solid bodies if needed.

I'm getting there, but slowly.

I've managed to create a surface (Boundary-Surface) in one area, and then it's easy enough to add an appearance, and that works fine.

But adding that part to my final drawing, the surface or the appearance doesn't show up. Instead, the area is just bounded by a jagged line.

And that's the only surface I've managed to create. Trying to select other regions is just frustrating. Selecting an area bounded by 3 lines and a section of spline, I get an error message telling me to select 'Select a continuous group of entities'. I've checked and all the lines actually meet, so why doesn't this amount to a continuous group of entites?

CorBlimey, sorry to keep on when you keep answering, but how did you manage to select the area you did to add the surface? Did you use Boundary-Surface or what?

I used the right-click > Contour Select Tool option for those two areas.

The simplest method for other areas would be to create a 2D sketch and use Convert Entities to create a complete and contiguous loop. The Planar Surface tool can then be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back