Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Odd Bowing of HSS Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2021
US
Quite a mystery here...

There is a sizeable but lightweight sculpture atop a building. I do not have any drawings nor much history to go off of, just a hunch that this was erected sometime in the late 1990s. The primary load of concern is wind load, given the surface area versus dead load. It has a "space frame" of sorts on the interior with the primary members being HSS tubes. The primary supports for the sculpture are four HSS vertical posts/columns. They are approximately HSS8x8x3/8, and let's say they extend about 12' up from the roof.

We observed some unusual bowing of the tubes. These are square tubes that have bowed to a more rounded shape for a portion of their length. You can see their square shape at the bottom where they are welded, and then it quickly deforms outwards as if it was getting inflated.

We emailed the Steel Tube Institute who provided only one possible explanation, that the tubes got water inside, which froze, which then caused the deformtion. Except the main vertical tubes are capped at the ends, and there is a very small hole to let water out towards the bottom. I cannot promise that the caps and the hole are original, though I'm pretty sure the caps are at least. So it's unclear to me how a significant amount of moisture could get into these tubes. Much the less how water would get into the smaller interior tubes that also show similar deformation.

There does appear to be some previous repairs done to these tubes, where someone welded a couple of "straps" around the main vertical tubes. But they didn't do it around all the ones that show the deformation.

We suggested some NDT to get a better handle on the deterioration. UT did not find any section loss. Mag Particle testing did not find any cracking in the welds at the base of the tubes, nor in the welds of the "straps". After cleaning off the interior members there was some cracking along the length of the members at the corners.

I did some quick calculations, which finds the unity of these vertical tubes are anywhere from 0.50 to 1.00, depending on a few assumptions.

My questions for you all:

- Have you seen this before?
- What's the explanation?
- Is this okay to remain in service? Would there be residual stresses from the deformation that reduce the capacity of the members?

Thank you all in advance.
5_-_Ext_Vert_Tube_Straps_f0gi1b.jpg
3_-_Ext_Vert_Tube_Rounded_ny7wbd.jpg
6_-_Interior_Tube_t3pxn0.jpg
8_-_Interior_Tube_k5kw58.jpg
4_-_Ext_Vert_Tube_Rounded_itx9b4.jpg
7_-_Interior_Tube_m5ozfh.jpg
1_-_Ext_Vert_Tube_Base_om1zwy.jpg
2_-_Ext_Vert_Tube_Base_ohvlqn.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ice-bulge idea sounds like it COULD happen, hard to imagine that much water actually collecting in them when in place.
Could they have been erected like that, with bulge prior to erection? Or, were they maybe salvaged from some other project or from damaged stock?
I would think the bulge would deform them into a stronger, rather than weaker, geometry, to be honest. Guess you can play with some numbers and see.

Edit: Article from the Steel Tube Institute:

I found a couple relevant threads:
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=258021[/url]
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=441956[/url]

My vote would be for water intrusion/freezing too, but it's definitely a head scratcher. Maybe the bulging and rupture damage occurred first, and then caps and weep holes were added later... Like you said though, the smaller, interior members having that same damage doesn't make a lot of sense.

I suppose it doesn't take much of a cavity for water to enter. I would just be surprised to see the members (assuming capped) totally filled with water to cause freezing and bulging to that level. Did they field weld this structure together in a rain storm? Lol...

The last two pictures ( 7th and 8 th pictures ) implies the HSS columns do not have RC pedestal and ftg but only have base plts and steel plt ftgs freely supported on gravel surface.

Is this true ? If so, now we can guess the story,

I guess the designer did not want the disturb the roof insulation and decided to support the frame on steel plates supported on gravel surface. In order to increase the OT resistance , it was necessary to increase the wt ( and the cheapest way ) they filled the HSS frame with water . However , the water get frozen and then caused this deformation. Later they drilled the weep holes to drain the water.

I would check the OT and sliding stability against wind before the capacity of columns ..
It is surprise to me that , this kind of engineering solutions should be at 3rd world countries.

Just saying..

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

I came across similar looking damage recently on a dolley composed of uncapped HSS tubes. It had sat in a backyard for several years, and likely repeatedly filled with water & froze. We replaced all of the tubes (capped this time!) because there were cracks at the corner on most of them & we felt the capacity of the other deformed ones was suspect as there may have been partial cracking or damage on the insides of the corners that was not visible to us.

I don't have any guesses about your interior tubes but it's very visually similar to the conditions I saw from freezing.

SBI, that's what I thought also. If the ends were plugged up during galvanizing (or even certain welding procedures), you can end up with similar bulging.

I'm definitely in the ice bulge category. It seems crazy, but I saw one here where somehow (still undetermined) a HSS10x10 filled with water over 6 feet high. It broke the column open at the weld. Scary and impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back