Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Oddball Drawing Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnTMan

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2005
US
Hello All. I've not posted to this forum before, but am usually found in "B&PV Engineering" and other asssociated ones.

I am using certain existing drawings in 2000 (version original drawing made in not known) to create new drawings. I am pulling in a border, title block, BOM, plus dimension styles, drawing content etc.

Certain of these drawings have bothersome characteristics:

1) Cannot reset limits
2) "copy with basepoint" does not work so that I can copy a few select objects from one drawing to another
3) "copy link" DOES work such that I can copy one entire drawing to another
4) "inset block" does not work
5) I believe "wblock" does not work either

I did find this thread which is similar: thread555-168826

These characteristics persist even after multiple name changes and saves as 2000 dwgs.

I am working only in model space.

I imagine there is some system or environment variable which is controlling this, but don't know for sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

SnTMan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"I am pulling in a border, title block, BOM, plus dimension styles, drawing content etc." instead of pulling all that into a dwg. i use a dwg template already set up with what i need in it to get me started. try using templates that are up to date with your most up to date version of cad. another thing you might want to try to help you copy and paste is to bind any xrefs.

twd22285, thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention im my original post these drawings pop-up a dialogue box referring to proxy objects when opening.

Part of this message says "parent ARX applications are not loaded" and "Missing Application: ObjectDBX Classes".

I am working now with a drawing that was created by a co-worker probably in ACAD 2008. It has a minimum of geometry, some pre-defined layers and dimension styles. It seems to contain no x-refs. It contains a number of pre-defined drawing borders with title blocks in paperspace.

In this one I can reset limits and insert blocks, but cannot select objects from the drawing either to "copy with base point" or "wblock". I can do either of these with the entire drawing contents however.

Any further thoughts? Do you think it is caused by the difference in ACAD versions? Is the proxy objects maybe the cause?

Regards,

Mike

MIKE
hey i hope this helps: i use 08' version of cad and this is what the help index had to say about proxy objects and object enablers which seem to be a way of having more options with proxy objects. maybe the website at the bottom will help you a little more

Proxy Objects

A proxy object is a substitute for a custom object when the ObjectARX application that created the custom object is not available to AutoCAD or other host applications. Later, when the application is available, the proxy object is replaced by the custom object.

Proxy objects have significantly reduced capabilities compared to their corresponding custom objects. The extent to which proxy objects can be edited is determined by the parent ObjectARX application. For example, operations such as erasing and moving an object, or changing object properties, may or may not be possible on a proxy object, depending on the application that created it.

When you open a drawing, you might see a Proxy Information dialog box. The dialog box tells you the total number of proxy objects in the drawing (both graphical and nongraphical) and the name of the missing application and provides additional information about the proxy object type and display state. You can use the dialog box to control the display of proxy objects.

Object Enablers

An object enabler is a tool that provides specific viewing and standard editing access to a custom object in the host applications when the application that created the custom object is not present.

Object Enablers allow custom objects in a drawing to behave with more intelligence than proxy graphics. Object enablers also facilitate workgroup collaboration when using other Autodesk products.

If the ObjectARX application is not installed on your system, you can check for available Object Enablers on the Web. For example, if you receive a drawing that contains objects that were created in Autodesk Architectural Desktop, but you don't have that application installed on your system, the AEC Object Enabler is downloaded so you can view those drawings as they were intended. To control whether the program checks for Object Enablers, use the Live Enabler settings on the System tab of the Options dialog box.

For a complete list of the currently available Object Enablers, go to the Autodesk Web site at

twd22285, I appreciate your help. I don't know for certain these drawings actually contain any proxy objects. I was just now reading ACAD Help and discovered how to turn that message off. The drawing doesn't seem to behave any differently however.

Oh well, I'm due for an upgrade soon, maybe that'll solve it.

Thanks again.

Mike

I have a related problem. When I copy a AutoCAD drawing, then paste it in a word document, it looks OK, but will not print dark enough. It is always too light. My work around is to drawn more lines next to the existing lines. Is this normal for AutoCAD?

Any suggestions?

TOOLMANTWO,

try copying the drawing and pasteing it to a new autocad dwg. then change all the layers to '0' or a white colored layer. or try to print in black and white instead of color. or try to turn on your lineweights than copy and paste to a word document. i've never dealt with micrsoft word to print cad dwgs, but i have used adobe acrobat reader to print and have never had a problem. hope this helps.

tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back