Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odors from deep well - open to atmosphere 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webfoot

Specifier/Regulator
May 12, 2003
EU
Hi,

I have a perpetual problem regarding malodorous emmisions from a deep well pumping station that is situated in the middle of town and open to atmosphere.

It receives sewage from tankers emptying septic waste and long gravity flow sewer mains that have been known to go a bit septic in the summer months.

The sewage undertaker is proposing a surfactant misting system to remove the odor load, but I don't have any testimonials other than the company's spiel.

will the system be effective cosidering that the sewage odors are freely dispersed to atmosphere?

Any experience with these systems shared gladly received!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The misting system, as explained to me once upon a time, will work to remove the odours and have the system a little more pleasant, but in my case, I was only masking the problem. I introduced an enzyme digester into the wet well to allieviate some odours. More importantly, the septic haulers were required to dump at another location (in my case) the lagoons.

This reduced the odours significantly along the first few manholes downstream of the lift station and reduced the complaints of the local businesses and residents. The haulers complained about thier extra costs, but in the end, accepted the change.

KRS Services

Hi there

The main consideration in treating sewage odours effectively is to collect the air effectively and send it for treatment to suitable technologies such as BioFilters or Activated Carbon, so that diffuse odour leakage risk is minimised.

You need to calculate the amount of air to be displaced from the well and also look at inflow sewage rate (L/s) and extract this amount of air.

Contact Clean TeQ in Melbourne, Australia for further details.

ctairman
info@cleanteq.com

You can easily capture the odors with a venturi scrubber. However an eductor that can be piped into the discharge of the lift station is the ideal setup. Many odors can be oxidized quite rapidly with the addition of air. I recommended this practice to a large city (300,000 people) that was offgasing odors at the lift station prior to the lagoon.

Todd
toddforet@usa.net

Venturi Scrubbers could be of use if you have particulate but for gas phase treatment biolgoical or chemical scrubbers are better due to the low operating pressure (say 2 kPa) compared to venturi (6 to 8 kPa) and high transfer steps available through packing.

For this application BioFilters have the best absorption & oxidation capability given a larger airflow with low odour concentrations.

Educt vents are a good idea to concentrate the air that is sent to an odour treatment plant.

Using air only could be a good idea if you are allowed to dilute the air and have a large buffer zone by the regulatory authorities. From experience I would have to say this is kind of frowned upon!!!

Be careful, Often what happens is that you will dilute the air being dispersed to atmosphere via a stack but you might actually increase the problem if you have low threshold odours like organic sulphides that disperse over a wider area!!!

Hope this helps.

ctairman

unfortunately, the sewer owners do not see it as a big problem, and it is very difficult to persuade them to spend any money on improvement

Webfoot

Could you explain as to whether there is an existing air extraction system to remove odours from the well?

(If you are getting complaints I suspect there isn't)

You need to move enough air to treat the volume displaced when the tankers drop the waste, and then some to make sure all the air is collected.

Subsequently odour control measures such as BioFilters and Activated Carbon could be utilised to treat this air.

However I understand the $ involved, but inevitably it will be the only way of stopping complaints.

ctairman

You seem to be looking strictly at the odors. Have you looked at any other damage to the system. Could this be a hydrogen sulfide gas that is being emitted? If so, is it combining with the moisture on the pipe walls and producing sulfuric acid? You will know by the condition of the manholes, wetwell, and any concrete/steel piping. These can be eaten away in a short time period.

If this is happening, there may be a reason for the owner to want to fix the problem. There are things that can be done to tackle this problem; however, they typically are not cheap.

It seems that the problem is being caused by the sewers going septic. This is a result of lack of oxygen. You could inject air or oxygen into the force main to prevent the problem.

Look at the folloiwng:

a. Treat the off-gas at the pumping/receiving station with ozone applied to vent stack. Simple ozone monitor adjusts the ozone level. This will oxodize H2S and other odors. No scrubbers, no large filters, etc.

b. Add a solution of enzymes and carbon lignite to the wastewater as it flows from the reciving station. Dosage rate for lignite is usually 1-gallon per 500,000 gallons. Gallons cost $60 retail. Enzymes - about the same/ and dose the same. This will remove the odor, remove the "septic" of the sewage lines, and the sewage plant won't mind receiving any "unused" lignite or enzymes, as it will increase/speed their microbial processes. The parties dumping will be charged $100 or so more per 500,000 gallons (plus whatever you need for ozone captiol recovery - figure ozone system tohandle off-gas at about $100,000 retail). Simply, fast and elegant!
Dave/ECP International

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back