Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odour Control with Activated Carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterCTQ

Bioengineer
Mar 17, 2003
AU
Does anyone have experience using activated carbon for sewer gas odour control. Using caustic impregnated carbon to remove sulphides has been successful (30ppm h2s to less than 0.05ppm)however breakthrough of very low level VOCs (PCE, TCE, toluene - @200ppb) is causing other odour problems - sickly sweet smell(it shouldn't, given its odour threshold, but it is!).
Is using two types of carbon, impreganted and non-impreganted going to help?
What other practical add-on solution have are available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have designed systems to do this, but not run them for extended periods.

I would suggest working the problem through the major carbon drum/bed supplies such as calgon, who will give you adsorption isotherms and make some suggestions.

How frequently are you breaking through? have you tried to line a couple drums in a row, so a breakthrough can be sensed but does not result in odors to atmosphere?

A simpler method is to prevent H2S formation by chemical addition to the collection system. By inhibiting H2S formation, you get odor control as well as corrosion control, which is the big money saver.

Email me for more info.

We have a lot of experience with odor control , including activated carbon, zeolite, biofiltration, oxidization ( H2O2 and O3), etc.

Contact me per e-mail engineering@envirocontrol.com or per phone (713) 910 3773

Dear all

FrancisM wrote " A simplest method is to prevent H2S formation by chemical addition to the collection system"

I'm interest in know which kind of chemical I must add.

I have designed 2 systems, 1 already operating for 10 years non-stop which simply uses a dilute hypochlorite solution as an oxidant to dispose of thiols, hydrogen sulphides and amines.

It is a simple wet scrubbing system which not only ventilates the plant, but clears odours from the surrounding areas of the wet wells, macerators etc.

The only detectable smell outside of the plant is faint "swimming pool" like.

Please contact me if you want mor details.

Profaic

Dear Profaic,

That slight swimming pool smell, in all probability, is CHLORINE GAS - being the usual resultant of the hyperchloride reaction. Not sure of the allowable discharge limits of chlorine, but do know that this is the reason for the requirement of secondary scrubbing.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back