Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OFD in Mechanical assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

gscotland

Electrical
May 16, 2002
US
Like most manufacturing companies we analyse performance using DPMO ,defect per million opportunities and where defining opportunities is reasonably straight forward in Circuit card assemblies (and defined by IPC) I am finding it difficult to find a similar definition for mechanical assemblies. Is there a universal standard or has anyone created their own?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest that opportunities in a mechanical assembly could be viewed similarly to those in an electrical assembly. Is the part present or not; is it the right part; is the part in the correct location? However, I would advise against using this as an overall measure of quality, and simply use it as a tool to identify and reduce variation. After all, it doesn't matter to the customer how low the DPMO is if the final part doesn't work.

I would agree with BML especially on functional testing. Additionally depending upon the sophistication or total quantity of the product, you may need to shift from DPMO to a more relevant (tailored) scale.

Hi Guys
Thanks for your input ,however our application of DPMO is not to replace fault detection stages eg Inspection, ICT Test, Functional test but in some cases to re-inforce and justify detection stages. DPMO is a simple meausre which is used to identify processes that are not performing to an acceptable level or products poorly designed for process compatability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back