Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Off-gas Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer6512

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2002
US
I have a solid petroleum compound being handled in a process building and would like to determine what gases are being "off-gased" from it and at what rates - purpose of which is to supply adequate ventilation. Can anyone tell me the type of chemical analysis I am looking for? And possibly recommend a lab that can perform this analysis for me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, let me think about this for a moment . . .

no, simply because insufficient information has been provided. what is the solid petroleum compound? what process occurs to solid such that off-gases are released and released to? lab? can't answer that matter either.

should you want an answer, more information would be helpful.

good luck!
-pmover

A piece of solid material Could be given to a lab. They could heat the material in hot water to 120 F, so I'd send it to them on ice. They could place it in a bag and pull a vacuum on it. They could run the gases through an extended analysis GPA 2177 and 2186. If they got a larger piece I suppose they could put the chunk in a bag (cold and pull a vacuum on it) then heat the sample up and measure the volume that the bag expands.

Thanks for the replies. Following is some more detailed information.

The solid is bitumen ore (aka tar sand) from a mining operation. The tar sand is being transported inside of closed buildings via open conveyor belts, and there will be odour and fume generation from the material as a result. I want to determine exactly what chemical components this ore is off-gasing into (so that I can reference published TLVs) and also their generation rates (so that I can properly determine a ventilation rate to maintain concentrations below the TLVs).

Does this help?

Thanks.

To answer you question specifically,
1. Take a sample and run it through a Gas Chromatograph. It'll separate out the butanes, propanes, methanes, octanes......and give you relative concentrations.
a. There are LAB GCs that process a sample at a time.
b. Process GCs suck a stream of sample out of the stuff going by the probe, so you'll know if concentration changes in near real-time.

To address your actual need, if what you really want to know is whether you are accumulating explosive vapors, stick a bunch of flammable gas monitors in the buildings....Floor mount for heavier-than air fractions, and rafter-mount for Lighter fractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back