Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offset Centerpoint from a circular centerline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CentaurBen

Aerospace
May 7, 2019
US
I'm designing a part where the holes are in an arc pattern to bolt to existing hardware. Currently in drafting.

The radius of that arc is 100 inches, so I would like to do a folded radius, but I can't make a Centerpoint to select.

I've tried using the "Offset Center Point Symbol," but it won't let me select the partial circular centerline that I made through the holes. Anything I'm missing here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Usually circular patterns are used on cylindrical models. They are not positioned on the center of another cylindrical object which you can use?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Why not just do a Radius to Center dimension? A folded radius can be overly complicated unless you're willing to add the necessary geometry it needs to define it, in case there isn't any existing already.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

NutAce,
My part is rectangular, but it's bolting onto the edge of a cylindrical ring.

Xwheelguy,
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. I generally prefer the folded radius because I think it's easier to read and the extra geometry isn't that big a hassle.

Thanks for the help both of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back