Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Offset HSS Header Connection Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galambos

Structural
Jun 27, 2005
US
Im looking to improve my offset header connection details, and wondered if anyone had one for a condition where the curtain wall remains continuous past a column (hss or wf).

by offset, i mean the centerline of the hss header (lintel) is set a distance away from the exterior column line.

thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well if you are going to use that....might as well see if you can get a WT shape to work for the outrigger.
Cutting and chipping flat to the web of a W is a pain.

Could you fasten the HSS header to the underside of the WF outrigger bottom flange using a couple of Lindapter bolts instead of stripping the flange and field welding the plates to the WF? Also, could you use a larger angle that has a long enough leg to weld to the bottom of the HSS instead of using 2 angles as you show?

Still like my idea shown in my sketch above. Cut a hole in the side of the tube, reinforce it with an angle, pocket the outrigger right to the inside of the tube.

Advantages - Can be configured for field bolting and no field welding. Contractor can set the beam in place, doesn't have to hold it in place. Outrigger is hidden behind tube.

Disadvantages - Fabrication is a little tricky. Not good for CW rotation

FWIW I liked your original detail the best, seems simple and easy to fabricate and erect. Good points Teguci.

I also have a fabricator friend I would bounce it off, every SE should have at least one steel fabricator's number in their phone...

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Toad- Was the built-up section for wind at a curtain wall or because that was a crane? Your sketch was way better than the ones missing from most posts...

The header had a cap channel because the door was about 30'-0 wide.
There was a wind column that sat on top of the door header.
Although conservative, I designed a wideflange to carry the vertical load and a pair of channels (bottom one not shown in sketch) to carry the wind load.
It work out great because the siding girts on the building were channels on the same depth as the caps on the beam. Everything matched up nice.

Ahhh, with those specifics, your detail seemed to work out great. Every job can have very specific architectural requirements, so I hate to generalize on steel connections on top of differing structural requirements and restrictions of building geometry. They can be an art unto themselves.

The worst is seeing an old set of drawings or going to the site and then second guessing yourself. Man, why'd I do it THAT way?? I just did that on a job that is in a building with exposed steel and has very high visibility to the public, and it was probably 10 years ago that I designed it and at the beginning of my career. Only a couple of things where I scratched my head a little...

yes it is much more fun to make your way onto a job site of a competitor and say "I cannot believe that #$%^#$@ $#@$% ^%#% is so %$@# that he $@#$. Oh my, what a total 23$@# %$@#%!"

Is it Friday yet?

How about an HSS outrigger with one header attaching to each side? Use clip angles welded to the top of the HSS header to bolt to holes in the HSS outrigger?

This would avoid sharing of bolts and extended cap plates as well as allow a similar connection where you need the header to cantilever past the outrigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back