Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offsetting Rev Symbols from Dimensions or Annotations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssmithdigilab

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2009
US
Is this possible?

What I'm looking for is a way to kind of "link" each Rev symbol to the dimension or annotation that it belongs to. The reason I would like to do this is so that if I move a view or a dimension the rev symbol would move with it. Currently, when I move a view or dimension, I have to go back and move all of the Rev symbols so they are next to the dimensions they belong to.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2 part question, so 2 answers.

Yes, you can link a rev symbol to a drawing view.
As with annotations, the rev symbol is going to automatically go on the drawing sheet or one of the views.

If you move the view and the rev block does not move:
1) Left Click on the rev symbol
2) Cntrl-C
3) Click on the view you want the rev symbol in
4) Cntrl-V to paste it in the view
5) Delete the original symbol

Now the rev symbol should move with the view

Yes, you can link the symbol to a dimension.
1) Select the dimension and the rev symbol
2) Right Click on one of them
3) From the drop down menu select 'Group'->'Group'

Now the dimension and rev symbol should move together. You can 'Un-group' and re-position if needed.

Note: The dimension and the rev symbol have to be in the same view before you can 'group' them.

Hope this helps

You can add the symbol to the dim.
In the dimension properties, click after <DIM>.
Below click on the "More..." box next to the other symbol icons.
A small window will pop up.
Under the Symbol Library drop down, select the type of rev and its corresponding shape (triangle/circle/etc).
Select OK. It will add the symbol to the dim.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

You guys are a huge help! Thanks!

Chris, do you typically insert your Rev symbols using that method? While that provides the cleanest looking dimension and Rev symbol combination, it takes quite a bit more time than my previous method. I previously would right click the row in the Rev table and select "Add symbol". This way I could add as many symbols as needed very quickly. Unfortunately, they weren't linked to the view or dimensions, so moving the view caused problems.

Too bad you can't just drop the Rev symbol onto a dimension and have it "auto space" to one side or the other. Of course, if you could, you would need to be able to drag it to the opposite side if necessary.

ssmith,

Your method will give you what you want if you just make sure you are clicking within the view boundaries for the dimensions you want to flag. First think about which dimensions in which views you want to note with the rev symbol, then add the symbol from the rev table as you have been doing. Note that often the dimensions are beyond the view boundaries which are tied to the object lines, not the dimensions. Because of this some of the dims lie beyond the view boundary. In those cases just drop the symbol inside the view boundary until you have put them all down for all the views. Then it is a simple matter to drag them to the dims they apply to, but at least they are associated with the correct view and will now move with it.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back