Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offshore pipeline coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.

robb4

Petroleum
Jul 24, 2009
NO
Hi,

my question is about pipeline coatings. In particular I would know if it is possible to put concrete coatings above thermal insulation coatings.

The main pipeline data are:
Pipeline 8"
Insulation Thickness 40 mm
Concrete coating thickness 40 mm

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't done a lot of offshore work lately, so I am not sure about if any new insulations have been developed, but in the past it was usual to enclose thermal insulation in an annular space between an inside pipe product-carrying "core" and an outside pipe "casing", due to waterlogging of the thermal insulation if exposed to water under deep water pressues, which renders it almost totally ineffective.

17-1058074210T.gif

Big Inch - Google "Thermotite Ultra" to see how wet insulation is coming along. An ISO standard, 12736, for wet insulation is also in process.

According to the same manufacturer, one of their concrete products can be applied over anti-corrosion and insulation coatings.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

robb4,

Honestly, I've never heard about this in offshore Brazil. In my opinion, the concrete coating acts as a insulation for the pipeline. So, you might wanna go back to the insulation calculation and review it.

In addition, I don't think the strength of the insulation is capable of holding the concrete coating in place during the installation of the pipeline.

Steve

SFLM,

Thanks for your reply.
when you need to reach high value of thermal insulation (below 4W/m2K), the concrete cannot be used as insulation so you would need to add a proper layer.

After the post of SJones I got in contact with that Company and they states that is possible to do that without major issue (in terms of applicable thicknesses).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back