Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offshore Pipeline Dead Weight Meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRincez

Electrical
Nov 7, 2006
GB
I'm working on an Impressed Current Cathodic Protection project offshore and the above subject came up. A corrosion expert wants us to bond pipeline systems to topside at the dead weight supports. I've never heard of this term before (i'm electrical biased) and would appreciate if you can provide answers / pointers to the below:

1). What is a dead weight in Structural engineering and where can I read about it?
2). Why is dead weight of a pipeline susceptible to poor electrical continuity poor at the riser support of a pipeline route? Is it because there is electrical isolation between the pipeline and the topside? Where are these isolations usually located?
3). What are the common offshore earth bonding straps for pipelines available in the market for earth bonding and also suitable for harsh offshore environment?
4). I understand that getting to certain areas of the pipeline route on the nodal requires rope access which is usually expensive and could it be avoided? such that the point for undertaking electrical continuity test is accessible on the top side. Can this access point be waived at the dead weight supports and brought upwards if permitted by the regulations?

Apologies if i'm asking silly questions but pointers or simple explanations will be helpful if you don't mind. I can provide further information if this is required.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a rock which weighs 5 pounds, the "dead weight" is 5 pounds. If you have a rock which weights 5 pounds with 2 pounds of snow on top, the "dead weight" of the rock is still 5 pounds. Dead weight or as its often refereed to as "deal load" or "self-weight" is simply the objects own weight.

I'm not overly familiar with Pipeline's so I will refrain from answering any of the other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back