Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil burner AHU system design

Status
Not open for further replies.

m2e

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2006
CA
Hi,

I'm designing a oil-fired AHU heating system, but I'm new to this kind of system, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

The system will be using diesel fuel oil, and have a ceiling hung AHU with a oil burner section in it. There's a fuel tank outside of the building. The building is a single-story building and the location is in Alaska, so the outside design temp is lower than -30F.

I understand that the AHU will require a gravity day-tank. So, I know that we have an AHU, a storage tank, a day-tank, a pump somewhere.

That's all I know about the project. Could somebody walk me thru how to complete the system, such as what other equipment is needed, where to locate them, and how to hook them up?

Thanks.

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a sketch? Storing anything hot in an Alaskan winter will be very in-efficient or very expensive. Why not direct fired oil burning heater?

You will have to combine various code & standards and the burner manufacture's requirements to design the fuel delivery system. Start with the fuel oil burner such as I would find out the required piping details such as recirculation lines sizing. Next local codes & standards such as IMC & NFPA for fuel oil piping are very helpful to specify piping materials. Next, work with the tank vendor on piping requirements for a heated external storage tank and lift / transfer pump requirement - you have 2 tanks. Finally review with the insurance carrier on the size, quantity and hazard of fuel oil storage tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back