Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil Cleanliness in Industrial Gearboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregPerry

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2002
GB
I am looking for as much information as possible on oil cleanliness levels, oil analysis interpretation, etc... Applicable to industrial gearboxes and bearings.

Thanks
Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg,

I used to work for a company that did a lot of work with Falk out of Milwaukee, WI. The Falk standard for the two most common configurations of their gearboxes is as follows:

unfiltered splash lubricated: ISO 23/20/18
filtered with 40 micron wire filters: ISO 20/18/16

You can get a lot of information from the Pall corporation. They make industrial oil filters and are experts in oil contamination. Very helpful people and I'm sure they have a website.

Bill

Greg,

ISO 4406 provides guidance in charcaterizing the cleanliness of lube oils. It is based upon counting the number of particles in given size ranges (>4 um, >6 um, >14 um) in a one ml sample. This methodology has been adapted for use by some equipment manufacturers.

NAS 1648(National Aerospace Standard)provides similar guidance but uses a single characterization number to describe the particle size count and distribution in a 100 ml sample.

Regards,

Gunnar

Are you still looking for information?? I wrote a paper on this subject for a large Mining Group and will e-mail you a copy of this if you like.

'geissele'
Read with interest your comments on FALK giving ISO codes on splash and filtered systems.
Why would one run a splash lubricated box four times dirtier than a filtered box?
I've seen 1500 HP FALK boxes (bearings) fail in two years which is the result of running a box at ISO 23/20/18 and once the oil reaches this level of contamination, no bearing will last....... ask any bearing manufacturer.
I think gearbox manufacturers forget their boxes run on bearings - have no doubt they only consider the gears.
Agree with your comments about PALL Corporation - a good source of information on contamination control.

Hi icw,
please would you send to me the report you did.I had a major computer failure and the people who did the repair thought i had backed up so when they cleanded and installed a new hard drive i lost all.
many thanks
robert
ferreiro@mweb.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back