Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil filled vs Dry type Power Transformer at marine enviroment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

id93108

Mechanical
May 24, 2010
GR
Could you give some feedback on whether I should go with dry type or oil filled power transformer for a Marine application?

I will be needing 4 x 2000kVA transformers which will be installed inside the power station building.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would avoid a conventional dry-type for a 2000 kVA unit in that environment. I agree with other comments that a cast-coil type would be a good, although costly, choice. You should review code issues and insurance requirements for oil-filled transformers indoors - you will probably need to put them in a fire-rated vault, or use high fire point fluids - not mineral oil.

David Castor

If your inside you can use standard oil transformers, the kind you see beside building everywere. 34 KV is the upper limit for "off the shelf" units. You will need to put them in a "Vault" ( fire rated toom) with an oil containment system.

Iam assuming your in a power plant on saltwater as opposed to shipboard or drilling platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back