Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil flow through stator windings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazeCHIP

Industrial
Apr 9, 2009
US
Hello All,

I have been tasked with theoretically finding what the flow rate through the windings of a stator would be based on the given information. I have been tasked with this although it is out of my expertise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I began by using the formula Q = AVK but I did not get an answer that made sense. If I didn't supply enough information please let me know. I have attached a diagram of the stator assembly and flow path. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not flamable oil I hope!

It seems like a cold inert gas would be the way to go. The increased volume you would need might be considerably offset by the substantially lower pressure drop you would get using a gas rather than a more viscous oil.

Not Bernoulli?

A few simplifications / assumptions:

V2 (which can be used to calculate flow rate, given you have CSA) = (2*(p1-p2)/rho)^(1/2) per pipe.

How confident are you in the pressures you nominated?

Regards,
Lyle

Oil is commonly used in transformers so why not stators. The heat transfer formula that governs is Q = M*Cp*To-Ti where M = mass flow of the oil, Cp = the specific heat of the oil and To = the outlet temperature and Ti = the inlet temperature. If you know how much heat you need to remove you can calculate the flow rate required and then take your hydraulic path and calculate all the flow losses based on the fluid properties (careful to note SG and viscosity around the loop) through the loop.

For my part, I am more used to seeing water cooled windings than oil cooled, but oil will certainly work.

rmw

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had much time to work on the equations as I have been doing physical tests. Lyle, thanks for the formula. I will take that and start plugging in some numbers. I am pretty confident in the pressure value for the average. The number has quite a range though based on the speed of the motor. I also have been looking into heat transfer and the cooling rate so thanks rmw for that information as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back