Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil in Transformer Conservator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

enggines

Electrical
May 9, 2002
US
Good Day!
In a Conservator type Transformer, the indication for oil level is in degrees Centigrade (why?). If the initial fill requirement is within 20 degrees, what level would that be inside the conservator tank, 3/4? 1/2?
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The level gauge is in °C because the normal oil level changes based on the oil temperature. The gauge normal level is set at(typically) 25°C. This will vary up or down with temperature.
If the Oil Temp gauge is showing oil temp above 25°C, then the normal oil level should be above 25°C, and vice versa.

Suggestion: Visit
etc. for more info
The transformer was built to IEC or similar standards following the SI Units that includes Centigrade or Celsius scale.
Temperature will increase somewhat. Conservator is designed for a wide temperature range. The actual temperature values may be obtained from the manufacturer or in time, from meter readouts.

Thank you, DanDel. My main concern is how would I know the fill level in the conservator. If it is above 25 deg centigrade up to what level inside the tank. Or, is their a reference point for oil level relative to the degrees centigrade value?

You don't really have to worry about the exect fill level in the conservator as long as the temp guage is showing max fill level.The design of the conservator volume allows for it to be never getting "full up" even at the highest temp rise of the oil, say around 140deg by which time ofcourse the transf upstream CB would have tripped.
When filling transf from dry, you should only pour in masured quantity stated on the name plate and that way you need not worry about under/over filling the unit.

RajT,

I would never rely on the name plate value for the oil quantity for adjusting the right level. Thats usually a rough guess, because it's extremely difficult to calculate the required oil exactly. DanDel's explanation is correct.

Suggestion: Reference
1. IEEE Std 242-2001 Buff Book
Section 11.5.2.4 Conservation Tank
It does not address the conservation tank fill. The meter is leaving more scale for High than for Low around 25C. Therefore, to utilize the meter properly, it might be filled somewhere around 1/3 at 25C fill temperature. This is just by a popular mechanics of physics approach.

enggines, I'm not sure what the full mark corresponds to in the conservator tank(if that is what you're looking for), I would expect that to be different for each manufacturer.
The inmportant thing is that the oil level at the gauge is close to the 25°C mark when the oil temperature is 25°C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back