Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil pressure problem 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

patprimmer

Nov 1, 2002
US
This is not work related, but is really getting me down. If anyone feels it should be red flagged, then fair enough.

I just built a 409 CI SBC for my very good friends social ski boat, being the boat I regularly ski behind. It has been nothing but trouble in many areas and with several changes of plan mid stream.

I will stick to the bottom end and oil system at this stage.

Crank. Brand new Eagle 4340 non twist forging std 400 CI SBC configuration.

Rods. Eagle "I" beam 5.7" stroker rods with 3/8 ARP 2000 Cap Screws.

Oil pump, Brand new (well never used, but 15 years old) Mellings 55 oil pump.

It is a so called centre mount configuration, with the motor in back to front so it drives of the timing cover end of the crank, and is close to the bottom of the boat with the flywheel and the bottom of the timing cover only about 1.5 to 2" off the bottom.

This calls for a flat wide shallow pan, that has journal #1 running into the oil, but the oil pump clear of the oil.

It has a roller cam and the lifters restrict oil flow to top end. It has 240 deg at 0.050 and 0.600 lift.

It has new Clevite cam bearings installed by a reputable machine shop.

It has new King main and big ends. These are Std +0.001" bearings.

The pick up is an OEM flat pan shaped thing that is about 4" dia, has a bottom side half cover that stands 1/4" below a fill circle screen, so it keeps the screened pick up area about 1/4" clear of the bottom of the pan.

It has a tray of sorts that presses this pick up down below oil level.

With the engine turned off and plenty of time for drain back the oil is about 3" deep and well over the top of the pick up.

The inlet port of the pump has been tapped to 3/8" BSP thread and a -8 nipple inserted with originally Loctite 515 and later with Teflon thread seal tape.

The pick up has a -8 nipple welded to it.

The pick up is connected to the pump via a 1/2 steel reinforced high pressure rubber hydraulic hose over press in -8 fittings.

The oil pump was assembled with Clevite assembly lube, and the cover was sealed down with Locktite 515. Remember this pump is well above normal oil level due to 14 deg incination of the motor.

Filter is in stock location.

Main galleries and lifter galleries had plugs removed and tapped to 1/4 BSP as required to properly clean and reseal. Plugs were checked for length so as not to cover galleries and were installed with Locktite 515.

No plugs leak oil.

Sump Gasket. Felpro one piece.

Tray is a simple hoop with rear facing louvres. It clears the crank by a country mile and really does nothing but hold the pick up down.

The sump, tray and pick up are all from the previous engine.

It has good oil pressure when started, but it falls away fairly quickly after a minute or two running. If we stop, and restart 15 sec later, it has 75 psi pressure again, but falls to 10 psi at 2000 rpm and develops a knock.

We have had it in and out 5 times now, replaced the hose, checked the pick up position in the sump, re tightened the fittings, checked cap and pump are down square etc.

It uses Penzoil 20W50 GT or something or other oil.

On original assembly, many shortcuts were taken, to the point of the owner snatching parts and tools out of my hands and doing it himself as I was "wasting time checking things". These things were ring end gap, cam timing, piston to valve, and bearing clearances for instance.

It is carby/petrol with no apparent dilution of oil. There is a little water in the oil from a previous head gasket problem due to a dowel pin holding the head off just enough so the compression sealed, but the water did not and came up one stud into the rocker box, but only very slight discolouration due to emulsification.

Every time I question the system, I get abruptly told it worked OK for 25 years.

It has about 7 litres of oil. The old engine (an old school bog stock 350 CI SBC) with the same oil system except it had a BBC pump, previously ran OK with as little as 5 litres of oil.

Bottom line.

How can an engine have good oil pressure, loose it quickly after a few minutes, then have it again 15 or 20 seconds later, then loose it again after a few minutes running on a repeating basis in a stationary position resembling attitude of normal operation. The temperature rise of the oil was minimal and had no impact on the results.

It is the quick decline while running at a fast idle, then the instant recovery after stopping and restarting that has me puzzled as it seems it is not sucking air, at least not where we can determine.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I need to look, but I thought the pressure relief valve on this pump discharged into the pump inlet port.

I am really starting to wonder if the larger main caps is blocking oil return.

I think I really do need to build a stand to run it out of the boat.

Regards

Pat, are you saying you think the front main cap is too closely surrounded by the pan to allow oil to flow to the pickup? I don't see how that could be, the counterweights surely must project further down than the caps.

I suspect that the rather bulky casting for the timing cover where the seal between the pan and the cover is held in the cover, is very close to the front of the #1 main cap. I have not assembled it without the sump on then taken time to look, but it is a lot bigger than a 350 CI SBC main cap and might be totally covering the space the oil drains through when exiting the cover. Because of engine inclination, virtually all oil from the heads and valley is draining back through the timing cover.

Regards

If it were any mechanical problem, it would manifest itself as soon as the engine were started. Since it has pressure as soon as it starts then drops off, I am inclined to think that either it is pumping all to the top end, or the pump is cavitating (collapsed inlet hose). The fact that it recovers as soon as it has a chance to drain back down sort of supports the theory of oil retention.

Cold oil is harder to pump than hot oil, BUT, the hose would be stiffer when cold (hmm, a quandry).

The engine sits tail high? From what I surmise so far, the engine has a remote oil pickup. These boats have a high plane angle and the oil may drain away from the pickup, especially on high G acceleration and turns.

Also, in the 60's, Chevrolet had the Nova with a front sump and a remote pickup. I ran one successfully in G/MP drag racing with some minor oil pan baffling and a windage tray. 7500 RPM gear shift changes and top end were common.

Franz

The engine is nose down at about 12 to 14 deg, but the nose faces the back of the boat.

The oil moves toward the pick up due to acceleration and angle of plane.

This problem occurs on the trailer, and I think is worse at nose down and better at nose up. To many hurried repairs and to little proper controlled tests under to much time pressure to really be sure. That makes it sound more like a drain back problem.

Regards

I would take a guess at a drainback problem Pat.

With one end of the larger crank swimming in oil making things worse by picking up the oil and swinging it around.

Easiest way to check would be to drain oil and dump a load of a very light viscosity oil, it should reduce the prob slightly.

Was told it couldnt be done, so
i went and did it!

Could you remove the distributor, drive the pump with a drill, tap into the pressure sender or some other port, hook up a hose and direct the flow into a valve cover and watch what happens ? see the flow or lack thereof and accurately read the dipstick without turbulence ?
good luck

Tried the drill thing with the gauge sender disconnected and a clear PVC pipe into the tappet cover area. It was then hanging from an engine hoist with the flywheel end well down. It pumped a noticeable supply of air, I think proving the pump was good. When the flywheel end was raised to more like the as installed angle, it pumped so much it blew the clear PVC hose of the sender unit and sprayed down the workshop, proving heaps of pressure. The drill would get to hot before we ran long enough to loose pressure, so we can't do as you suggest with the current equipment. Maybe a much heavier duty drill would make that possible. I can borrow one next week.

Regards

Pat having built many race engines for boats in the past I can say that it sounds like you may have a few problems one is a rubber hose in the pan is a bad idea. I would replace it with a steel tube with rubber mounting this will get rid of any problems with the hose. to I would pour a quart of oil into the lifter valley and see how long it took to drain back. boats tend to have some problems with this you may have to open up the drain port so they drain faster. you mite even want to look into a dry sump system this will take the problem of the pickup running dry due to the lack of oil around it. you have to remeber that most high volume pumps move alot of GPH (gallon per hour) and if your using a thick oil and there is not enough room aroun the pick up you are sucking it dry the cold oil can not flow fast enough to get to the pick up. these are a few thing I have had to deal with good luck

Pat, my first though was also drainback. I didn't see what kind of cam drive is being used, but I'm guessing it went from a silent or single roller drive on the previous engine to a double roller on the new one? Did the cam gear go from one with holes to one without? I also didn't see what kind of block is being used. I wouldn't be surprised if the 400 block has less room between the cam gear and block.

Definitely keep us posted on your progress.

ISZ

I see no difference in the timing cover area of the block.

Both engines have Cloyes twin row true roller timing chains.

Both have cam sprockets with big holes in the face.

My current thinking is the 3/8" BSP tapered pipe fitting screwed into the pickup port of the pump is distorting the housing enough to cause the pressure relief to stick open.

I think the process might go like this. As the PRV bleeds oil back to the pump inlet port, the sheer of flowing around the pump then into the port then back to the pump could have the oil in the pump heat up somewhat quicker than the oil in the sump, but once stopped the valve resets, oil drains of through the bearings and the pick up and cooler oil is there on restart.

I think very little oil is flowing to the valley area and cannot imagine it not being able to drain back to match the slow supply.

We are pulling the engine on Friday and I have a commitment we will take as long as it takes to do it right.

I will keep you posted about the result.

Regards

"The new engine has a slightly longer tube and a 90 deg instead of straight fitting going into the pump"

Most charts list 90 degree fittings as being equivalent to 4 or 5 feet of pipe, flow wise. An elbow formed of tubing is about half as bad (restrictive).

Just one more thing either not working in your favor, or clouding the issue until an eye witness can be found.

I know a 90 deg fitting is not ideal, but there are a great number of SBC with SBC oil pumps out there in this type of boat. They all have a 90 deg fitting at the oil pump inlet port. Some may be swept, but most are sharp. They don't have problems.

I am now convinced that the taperd gas thread fitting is distorting the inlet port housing enough to cause the pressure relief valve to stick open until the engine is stopped, and as it dumps oil into the pump inlet port, a high enough percentage of oil is recirculated to cause a considerable local oil temperature increase in the pump due to the sheer. The hot oil still maintains just enough pressure to allow the valve to stay stuck open, but when stopped, the spring can close the valve as there is zero oil pressure.

The friend is back, and has agreed to do a thorough pull down, and do it right from start to finish this time. I will certainly clean up the PRV bore and ensure no sticking. I will also screw the fitting in lightly and silver solder it into place.

Before we pull the motor, I will tip a few litres of oil into the valley with the manifold off to view drain back rate.

I will also run the pump up with a much stronger electric drill so we can run the pump without running the engine to see if the problem still occurs. We might do that tonight.

Regards

Pat,

What types of oil temperature is the engine running?

A friend had a boat motor that with similar oil pressure problems. The mechanic at his marina suggested a single-viscosity oil, not a multi-grade. This solved the problem.

Boat motors tend to run much cooler than automotive. It seems that multi-grade oils don't like the relatively low temperatures.

I pulled the sump today. Oil pump is definitely an old Mellings 55 HV.

PRV is not sticking.

On closer inspection, the pick up is damaged and the bit that holds it off the bottom of the sump is cracked and seems to allow it to suck down when it gets to close to the bottom.

I am pulling it right down just to be sure there is nothing else wrong and the bearings have not been damaged, and to find the knock.

Regards

I've also seen this as a fairly common problem when a different or aftermarket oil pan is used.

The cracked support likely flexes closer the pan when more volume is pumped, creating your intermittent problem rather than the usual full-time zero oil pressure when the pickup and pan are solid but too close together. Like electrical systems, it would've been much easier to troubleshoot if it wasn't an intermittent issue.

I found a second problem today.

The timing cover casting in the area of the front seal flange is virtually touching the front main cap all the way round.

The only oil return path is via this gap which is about 0.002" wide and about 4" long.

Regards

Very marginal original design of the marine conversion.

I used a metal to metal joint and sealing compound at the joint between the timing cover and the front of the block as the timing cover carries all the propeller shaft thrust to the block then to the main bearers via the engine mounts. I have seen the OEM paper gaskets fail here before. Previous assemblies were not quite so bulky around the seal and had smaller main caps. This is something I had wanted to check.

I now need to fabricate a thin steel spacer to replace the paper gasket and maybe trim the cover and non structural areas of the cap to create a suitable oil return path.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back