Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oil treatment (dehydration, desalting, gas-separation) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barre

Electrical
Mar 3, 2006
BE
Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any help on locating a primer/documentation on first stage oil treatment(dehydration, desalting, gas-separation) facility namely Booster Pump Station.

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Huh? Hmm ...
Your local engineering library should be able to help. For gas processing, the GPSA Engineering Data book, which can be ordered on the web. Web search should help too.
Not sure what you mean by "namely booster pump station".
It's a pretty wide open question (and perhaps why we havn't heard from more knowledgeable folk here .. perhaps we still will).
Good luck.

Here's a couple references for ye:

- "Petroleum Engineering Handbook" published by Society of Petroleum Engineers - look on the web
- "Surface Production Operations" - Ken Arnold (Paragon Engineering) Thanks!
Pete

Barre:

Your question is not as clear as I would like it.
There are many stages between oil podced and dry clean oil fed into a topping unit.
Very simply, oil is produced in many different forms. It could range between high viscosity and condensate, high gas void fraction or some entrained gas, high water cut or dry, etc. These conditions dictate the process but usually, free water and gas are removed in a production separator resulting in wet foamy gas, oil based emulsion and water based emulsion. The oil base emulsion is dehydrated using any or all of the following processes in order of cost: residence time, heat, chemicals, mechanical separation.
This could mean a storage or slop tank, heater treater, dehydrator, etc. Once the water content is reduced to less than 1% it is put through an electrostatic dehydrator or desalter where chemicals are usually added and electrical grids are used to polarize and speed up the emulsion breaking. On which step of the process do you need more information?
Half of this is upstream and half is downstream.

I have the experince doing that, however, your question is not clear enough. If you put some detail I think I can help.

Good luck,

clindu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back