Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil vapor in H2 - carbon trap sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmanonskis

Chemical
Nov 11, 2009
US
Situation: Pure H2 compression up to 6000 psi in an oil flooded recip, with oil coalescers downstream removing the liquid phase oil. The issue is that the coalescers don't remove the vapor phase oil, and the customer has a very tight 0.01 ppm hydrocarbon spec. I've been assigned to calculate the remaining oil in the H2 as an input to carbon trap sizing.

The oil to be used is Summit's DSL-68 (Diester). From talking to various engineers, solution thermodynamics (Henry's Law / Fugacity etc) is in play here because the H2 is supercritical, but I haven't been able to find any coefficient correlations for oil in H2 in literature. Am I headed in the wrong direction?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Gmanonskis,

i think we need to know the main temperature in the coalescer (and pressure), because it's probably a mist problem and not a "flash" problem, or maybe both. Plus, is it a vertical or horizontal separator, has it a mist separator on the outlet?

I investigated a bit about the DSL-68 and i found it is mainly based on a mixture of Diisononyl adipate and C15-30 alifatic hydrocarbons. Maybe it is possible to use the UNIFAC model if the problem is a "flash" one.

regards,
ZorN

Thanks for the quick response. The temperature will be about 80-90 F in the coalescer and the pressure will be 6000 psig. I'll have to find out more details about the equipment orientation.

Can I ask where you found the details on DSL-68?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back