Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil / Water Separation, Stokes Law & Demulsifier Chemical

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemEngSquirrel

Chemical
Jun 10, 2010
GB
If I size my three phase separator using Stokes law to determine bulk liquids handling capacity (by determinig a separation area from the Stokes Law settling velocity), can i reduce separator size by giving credit to the fact that demulsifier chemical will improve separation (provided oil / water residence time are both acceptable)?

This is based on my understanding that Stokes Law for oil / water separation is conservative as it estimates separation area without the assistance of demulsifier chemical.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your 3-phase separator seperates the "free oil". A demulsifier breaks the emulsion to convert the "attached" oil droplets to free oil droplets. So, adding demulsifier doesn't justify you to give the credit.

Do not derate your vessel based upon there always being a supply of demulsfier. Often the supply of demulsfier runs out before the feed into your separator. And once you've sized the vessel, its sized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back