Status
Not open for further replies.

arsanal

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2019
IR
Hi
I have question :
There is hole on this old electromotor .should i use oil or grease for it?
20190722_191500_w2uoyj.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should consult the manufacturer. Based on the size and configuration of the port, my guess is oil but it is just that, a guess. Beyond the question of what lubricant to use, there is also the question of how much lubricant to use and how often to apply it. Unless there is someone with direct experience on this motor who can answer, this is definitely a question for the manufacturer.

Edison123,

LPS, my first thought, based on the size of the motor, was exactly the same thing. However, the little 'port' that is indicated by the OP does look like an oil lube port. However, my doubts about this, as alluded to by you, are why I suggested that he/she contact the manufacturer.

Can you open the motor and determine what type of bering?
What does it have on he drive end?
In the absence of other information I agree with Itsmoked. One drop of oil.
It may be a graphite impregnated bronze bearing in which case a drop of oil will extend the life of the bearing.
The solution to bearing failure in these small motors is replacement.
Not the bearing, the entire motor.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Only marginally related, but just yesterday I was looking at a smallish (to me) single phase motor on a power tool, wondering how often to oil it. Right on the nameplate it said "5 drops of 30wt oil, once every two years if used continuously, no more than every 5 years if used intermittently". No further description of the duty, but that was actually very helpful info. It was an old motor though, I've never seen that on anything new.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back