Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old aircraft wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

berkshire

Jun 8, 2005
US
I am looking to see if anybody on here has any info on an old spec for wire or a modern equivalent . The Spec. AN-00-W-429 seems to have been discontinued and purged from most record books that I can access. This wire is very similar to piano wire, but apparently is not heat treated after manufacture. The usage in this instance is the diagonal bracing between the spar posts on a two spar wing inside the wing. I found several references to the spec on older wooden aircraft from Beech, Piper, and a bowers fly baby, but nowhere does anybody say what it is, or if there is a modern equivalent. If anybody has a copy of this spec in an old archive and is willing to share, I would much appreciate it. The aircraft in this case is pre WW2.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

potential clue (from QQ-W-412):

412_sbh7di.jpg

Checking 465a, the properties listed for Class B align perfectly with the properties listed for QQ-W-429 in my previous post above (209-308ksi). This leads me to believe 429 was intended to superseded 465a Class B, but was shortly obsoleted. The cancellation notice for 465a says that it was superseded by 428, but doesn't mention the omission of the zinc coated Class B

Berkshire... I'm kinda dense this morning...

One unasked question is killing me... 'exactly why is the raw wire spec so important?"... IE: what is the ultimate purpose of the wire...

Hinge/shear pin?
Tie-Rod for wire bracing?
Push-pull rods,
Antique Technical conformity-to-spec...
etc...

I can point you to commercially available aircraft tie-rods and bracing rods/parts for structural bracing [round-square-streamlined], push-pull and bracing in carbon steel and drawn CRES... if needed.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

WKTaylor,
In this case it is," Antique Technical conformity-to-spec..". The usage in this instance is the diagonal bracing wire between the spar posts on a two spar wing inside the wing .As you say there are several tie rods and diagonals commercially available that could be used, but in this case the Glider is being restored to museum quality flying status. I and several friends have been searching for several months and keep going round in circles on this one. Coming to Eng Tips was pretty much a last result with pretty much the same results .The AN-00-W-429 spec appeared for several years, then showed up as superceded by AN-L-25 which in turn shows up as superceded . But with no clue as by what. At some point we are going to have to give up on this and select an un annealed cold drawn wire of the same tensile strength ( Possibly 428.), to make the wire bracing.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back