Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Beam Size 20 I 56 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mch2018

Structural
Mar 23, 2018
US
I am working on an old building (maybe 30's or 40's?)and came across a beam labeled 20I56 and another 10I25.4. I have not been able to find section properties for these beams. Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Captureaiscxxx_tkesov.png

Maybe you transcribed the 5 & 6 and so maybe it should be 20I65?

Captureaiscxxxx_roq26o.png

Mch2018:
There was a 20 I 65 (actually 20I65.4), and transposing 65 to 56 is a fairly common type of misprint. I would want to take some measurements on the beam in question.

It's a Bethlehem beam. Check AISC 1st edition, you can download them for free directly from AISC's website as long as you are a member. And it's probably 30ksi steel. Allowable tension was 18ksi during this time, 18/0.6 = 30.
Capture_q0sssl.png

Two possibilities, but I'm betting on the 20I65.4. You should be able to determine which just by measuring the member in the field. The depth of all I beams in the same class remain constant, while the Bethlehem beams vary in depth with weight, like wide flange beams.

The best check will be just the width of the flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back