Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Fanuc Robot issues thread277-1671 revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkLlew

Electrical
Nov 11, 2008
US
I have an s500 Fanuc Robot runing version 2.22P Rev A. Never touched one before in my life. The only manuals I seem to be able to come up with are versions for the RJ3, which does not seem to be compatible. I am in the same situation as BobM3 had several years back in the threads. I sure would like to get into a dialog with him. . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Bob for answering my post.

I have an S-500R-6FA robot connected to a Karel R-H Controller running Software version 2.22P-Rev A, enhanced and absolutely no manuals. The controller is loaded with a program from a previous owner of the robot. I can jog the robot in manual without a problem. Since I have never worked with a Fanuc robot, I thought I would run the old robotprogram just to see how it behaved. Start it up, go to automatic and nothing happens. I don't get any errors, no messages, and I don't hear the brakes release like they do when I am in manual and pull the dead mans switch. I suspect that I am not meeting some external enable function, maybe a gate switch or an input, but have no schematic to start looking for something.

Any ideas where to start? I have a good working knowledge of ABB Robots, but as I mentioned earlier, I have never played with a Fanuc.

Do you know a source for manuals?
Is it worth it to buy the Kfloppy software you mentioned in the original thread?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I bought manuals from Antennen ( You definately want the Karel Software Manual.

Kfloppy is a great tool. The editor in Karel is no where near as good as Wordpad. It was worth it for me.

One guess is that the program you are running is in a loop waiting for something to happen. Have you figured out how to run in debug mode yet? You can then watch the program run line by line and see where it is hanging up.

Another reason the program might be hung up: Are you in the "Karel Page" (F9 for my software)? Any prompts or menus that the program is putting out will show up on this page. Your program might be waiting for an input from you.

Thanks for the information Bob. Everything you are saying is making it more and more obvious that I need to get my hands on the manuals. I am working on that now through Antenen. You mentioned in the prior thread that you got Kfloppy from Fanuc, so I will start looking there for it. The robot is actually at another facility, so I have only had a chance to look at it once so far.

I have manuals coming, which should make this process a lot easier. What a headache trying to do things without the manuals. Can you think of anything that you would have liked to know going into your robot project that might be handy for me to know? Stumbling points that can be avoided, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back