Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Paper Lead Cables PILC

Status
Not open for further replies.

electromott

Electrical
Mar 8, 2002
GB
I am involved in a refurbishment project that has old (imperial) PILC cables. These date from the early 60's.

Does anyone know where to find a table for current carrying capacities?

NB This is in the UK if that makes an difference.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure about the UK, but Okonite still makes PILC, I believe. You might try contacting them - they are generally very helpful, in my experience.

Dave

Are you talking about LV or HV cables? There are still a few places in the UK making PILC/SWA for 11kV service.

The following link refers to BS6480 - might be worth tracking down a copy in your library. Same standard applies to HV stuff AFAIK.

If you are involved in a refurbishment, have you considered having the old PILC/SWA replaced? They were unlikely to be sized for modern loading levels: the local DNO should be able to tell you what the service drop to a property is rated for, if all else fails.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Thanks every one.

A bit more info.

The client wants to keep the refurb costs to a minimum; hence the 415V cables from the txfr, in another building, are to remain, but jointed onto new SWA cables to allow us to bend these onto new 415V switchgear.

I'm not sure of the existing sizes and will need to visit site and take the overall diameter because I don't know the core sizes, that is why I really could do with a cable table to see which is the closest match.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back