Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLD STOCK MOLECULAR SIEVE! IS IT OK TO USE ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

devaxrayz

Chemical
Feb 8, 2004
US
Hello all...

I have a dead stock of molecular sieve. It's been in my logistic warehouse since maybe 15 or 20 years ago, and i'm looking for any possibilities that i can still use it.

It is a 13X type molecular sieve with 1/16" pelleted grain size. I will using it for an absorption of H2O and CO2 and any hidrocarbon in air pretreatment before entering coldbox of N2 plant

What is the parameter for determining that the molecular sieve is still in good condition?

What kind of analysis that my laboratorium should run to that molsieve?

What is the ideal run time for a molecular sieve in operation since my N2 plant have never change its molsieve since 15 years? And what is the parameter for changing molsieve decision?

thanks before for your response

Devax Rayz,
Junior Process Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There should not be any problem using the 13X molesieve, especially if it has been stored in sealed containers.

Tests to run: mechanical hardness and adsorption capacity. I do not have the specs in mind but, basically make sure the 13x does not crumble.

Adsorbtion can be restored with a good hot reactivation, around 270 C (520 F) for 8 to 12 hours per bed. Make sure you limit your flow to 10% of normal. Do not try to do something else with the dry air, focus on the special reactivation. Your adsorbers insulation might smoke :), make sure you do not heat your valves.

Mole sieve can be damaged by such gases as chlorine and acids. Depending on the environment in which your plant is, your 13x may last a long time. So long as you do not have a CO2 breakthrough, why worry?

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back