Older Ford OEM camshaft specifications needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackardV8

Automotive
Apr 17, 2006
US
Greetings, Eng.Tipsters,

I use a commercial DynoSim program to explain engine modifications to customers. We begin with what they have at present and show what effect new parts would have on HP/torque/efficiency curves.

The aftermarket performance camshaft data is everywhere, but the OEM data points seem impossible to obtain. Extensive internet research has been fruitless. We have access to the AERA/Pro-sis data file and it is blank in the needed fields. I have an old TRW book which shows gross seat-to-seat timing, but even there, two versions of this will differ. For instance, a '66 Ford 289" 210/225HP cam is known as a TM560 and has 288/261 duration in one book and 266/244 in another. The Ford 400M cam is a TM580 and has 266 intake in one and 273 in another.

The DynoSim wants IVO/IVC-EVO/EVC cam events? The .050" data is preferred, but SAE J604d or seat-to-seat is useable also Can anyone recommend a source for OEM cam events?

thnx, jack vines

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A cam and a follower in a block and a degree wheel and a dial indicator.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

The best resource I've found is Melling's website (I think its
They have the most extensive listing of factory replacement cam grinds I've found. Its not perfect since their factory grinds are not direct copies, but they at least duplicate factory duration, lift, LSA, and ICL numbers. Their ramp profiles might be slightly different, but as far as dynosim is concerned they should be closer than you need for demonstration purposes.

Put it this way... although the actual lobes might be slightly different, the numbers that they use to replicate factory cams are the same. To a simulation software, that means it will simulate the same curves. What the engine will actually produce is a whole other ballgame, but Melling's numbers should get you closer than you need for your application.

Greetings, Curtis,

A thousand thanks and I'll try to pass along your kind help to another in need. The Melling site is exactly what I needed. It appears they have superseded TRW as the aftermarket point of reference.

thnx, jack vines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back