Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oleo Strut Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Peacher

Military
Sep 22, 2016
US
The normal strut pressure on our nose strut is 300 psi while it is on jacks. We also have a chart that shows the pressure vs strut extension for servicing while the plane is on the ground. If I increase the weight of the aircraft and raise the on-jack pressure to 350 psi, will the current chart still be applicable or will there need to be a new chart made? Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is 350psi within the Oleo's OEM's permitted range?

I'd expect a new chart (pressure vs extension) is required.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Yes. Our tech data tells us to increase the pressure to 350 psi for this particular situation. The question came up as to whether we can use the chart that is used for normal servicing or if a new chart would be needed because of the no-load pressure difference.

You could possibly get lucky and maybe the force to create a displacement "x" is 7/6*the force at 300psi.

It might depend on how linear the original load/deflection curve is.

so the oleo's bottomed out ?

since 350psi is on the chart, why ask the question ?

what are you doing with the oleo ? the chart looks like it's to verify the pressure ... the extension should be x inches if the oleo pressure is y psi (and you can measure oleo pressure with a pressure gauge too, no?

I thought your chart was a measure of load vs deflection for a given pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back