Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

omron drt1-232c unit to devicenet using controllogix plc

Status
Not open for further replies.

pssriram16

Electrical
Jul 20, 2006
US
I am using Controllogix plc ,devicenet scanner card to read OMRON drt1-232c unit(devicenet to serial) which has a peripheral device connected to its serial end(in this case it is a weigh scale). i wuould like to know how the memory I/O is mapped on the devicenet memory. i setup using RSNetworx for devicenet. I am able to see the device using EDS provided by OMRON. But when i go to properties it does not give me the I/O address.

Also one more problem is that on the RSLogix tree IO Configuraion, for example if using a device for controlnet one can add a module (Generic controlnet device), but one cannot add a devicenet device from the io configuration.

Can anybody tell me how to send commands and receive responses through the DRT1-232C unit on a devicenet network? I have send commands using RSLogix.Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
I am assuming that you are using the 1756-DNB devicenet scanner in the ControlLogix system. The Contrologix can not "see" beyond the scanner card, that is why you can only enter the scanner itself. The data the scanner reads and writes is mapped into the data areas that appear in the ControlLogix controller tags.

How this data is mapped depends on the Devicenet scanner configuration (its scan list) and the devices scanned. This configuration is (mostly) handled within RsNetworx for devicenet. Once in the program, double click on the scanner card and add the Omron device to its scan list. In the Input and Output sections, you can see how the data is mapped. One-to-One coorespondance to where the data appears in the ControlLogx processor.

Now you have to configure the Omron device. You may be able to configure this from RsNetworx, however I am not familiar with this device.

Once you have all of the configurations completed, you must down load them into the devices. Then you should be up and running. Oops did I mention the the 1756-DNB scanner card must have its run command bit set?

thanks djs. i figured it out and now all the settings are fine. i have mapped the memory alright and able to see the tx flag on.
but i need help with the Mettler toledo weigh scale wm6002.this is the device attached to the 232c interface unit. i am able to see the SEND LED come on everytime the message is being sent using the RSLogix routine, but it does not get bacany resposne.
So if anyone has any prior experience playing with weigh scales through devicenet then let me know .thanks.

Hello;
Sounds like you need a port sniffer. One way to do this is to connect the RX pin of a serial port on a computer to the Tx line of the gateway. Using Hyperterminal you can see how the gateway is formating the data and make corrections if necessary. There are also commerically available software and hardware for this purpose. Some of it is also shareware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back