Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On Max Number of DOFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

soildynamics

Civil/Environmental
Jun 16, 2007
CA
What is the maximum number of DOFs that can be handled by ABAQUS ? Is there any minimum machine memory requirement related to this number? Are there any computational ramifications (other than long computational time) that can be expected from using huge number of elements? As far as this point is concerned which is better FLAC or ABAQUS.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Abaqus itself is not the limiting factor, it's the hardware you are using to run the analysis on, basically available disk space and addressable memory (ie. a 64bit OS will allow a much larger analysis to be run than a 32bit OS).

I have access to a Linux 64bit machine with eight processors and 32 gigabytes of RAM, what limits the size of analysis I run is the 32bit Windows OS PC (with 2GB of RAM) I use to pre and post process the models.

Whereas ABAQUS is a 'general' FE code, FLAC seems to be designed specifically for 2D geotechnical analyses.

Comparing the two codes based purely on the max number of DOF's seems a strange measure. A comparison of material models, analysis techniques, pre- and post-processing and suitability for the job at hand would be more worthwhile?

Chances are that neither is necessarily 'better', but if you only need to do 2D geotechnical stuff, then FLAC may be the more appropriate tool for the job.

Martin

Martin Stokes CEng MIMechE

thanks Martin
FLAC can handle 3D.. please review your info
Both can handle the features of my model but (Large Defo, Elastoplastic and others) But I am saying which is better when the size of the problem becomes very large

Looks like some benchmarks are needed - I did a quick look on Google and came up empty. If you have access to both codes, you could do some benchmarking yourself....

Martin

Martin Stokes CEng MIMechE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back