Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ON/OFF Valve for Refinery FCC Column Bottom Slurry Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

GD2

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2017
CA
Does anyone has any experience with the pneumatic actuated ON/OFF valve for the refinery FCC Column bottom slurry service?
Fluid handled:
1) CLO (Clarified Oil from main column bottom with VGO and residue)
2) Slurry content – Solid concentration – 132100 ppmw (solids are FCC catalyst, silica alumina based)
3) % of slurry – As above
4) Particle size - > 5 micron with agglomerates
5)Frequency of operation in day or per month – every 60-90 minutes.

Operating Parameters:
Liquid Slurry Oil +300°C Max, +288°C - 291°C Norm
Design Temperature +375 degc & Design Pressure 36.1 Bar(g).
Operating Pressure 0 to 20 barg, Max. operating 20 barg, Max. Dp = 20 barg
Actuator Sizing : 4.5 barg min.
Actuator Working pressure: 5.5 barg min. to 8.0 barg with max. Design Dp (20barg)
to ensure Opening under 500ms and correct operation
OPENINGTIME <400ms, with max. CLOSING TIME at 500ms

Response on what type of valve, brand name etc will be appreciated. Is a metal-seated ball valve suitable?

GDD
Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck on this one! I cannot provide you with any experience but I would comment that slurry service and valves with a cavity are not a good mix. The cavity will fill with the slurry particles and, in the case of ball valves, the torque will just climb as the particles compact. You COULD have a purging system that clears the cavity, but that just adds to the complexity. All but the simplest gate valves, plug valves etc would fall into this category.
My initial thoughts were for a rising stem ball valve, but then I saw your stroke time requirements - which puts them out of the picture.
I cannot make any recommendations but I did happen to meet Tom Gosling of Gosco when he was in Australia some 15 years or so ago (and Gosco are Canadian based) and I see that they are still in business, so it may be worth having a chat to them, if you have not already. I have had no dealings with them nor any connection to them whatsoever so just pass this on as a possible solution. I suspect that whatever you end up with will bespoke, expensive and requiring frequent maintenance. I do not envy you!

Peter1gg,
Thank you for your feedback. I felt Knife gate valves worked better than ball valves in a slurry service because of the fact that it has least cavity and has the ability to scrap off the hard particles deposit from the seats making it more durable in terms of leak performance.

GDD
Canada

Not sure this will qualify. The link is for a small specialized US company, that has supplied special designed valves with positive rusults for some very difficult and demanding cases in my past career. If knife-gate valves type constructions are considered this is a type of construction you should check, from this company or competitors.

The construction is actually not a knife down to and end-sealing, but a through-going O-port. Price-level is probably high, but check price/lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back